We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Troy
Level Contributor
203 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

My husband and I will be driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for the day to see the Cathedral and then driving back to Mainz for the night. Any parking suggestions near the Dom? I understand it's near the train station so are there any parking areas around it? Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated. Thanks.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

There are some multistory car parks in the city centre, which have the usual hourly rpice (pay when you leave). An alternative could be one of the Park & Ride places at the outskirts of Cologne. You can then easily use the public transport to get to the Cathedral and the Old town, and return later on. This would save the hassle to drive into town.

What day are you planning to go to Cologne?

Troy
Level Contributor
203 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

Now there's an interesting idea - thanks for this! We will be driving from Heidelberg to Cologne on Tuesday, September 11th just to see the Cathedral. How would I find out where one of these park and ride places are?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

Here is a link to a site I found , if you can't work out the German then try in English first to see how it works

www.parkopedia.de

Troy
Level Contributor
203 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

Thanks but I cannot get it to work in English at all.

Troy
Level Contributor
203 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

I relooked up the site in English on the Internet and got it to work - so I'm going to try it.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
522 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

There is a parking directly unter the plaza in front of the cathedral. You can hardly miss it if you follow the signs to "Hauptbahnhof" (main station). This parking has the additional thrill of having an original Roman wall in it (bilderbuch-koeln.de/Fotos/…B6misch_948).

The address is:

Tiefgarage Am Dom

Kurt-Hackenberg-Platz 2

50667 Köln

fee is € 1.80 per hour or € 18 per day.

Troy
Level Contributor
203 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

Is it easy driving in on a weekday? Is there a lot of car traffic by the Dom? I just don't want to spend a lot of time getting lost as we'll only be there for the afternoon. Thanks so much for your response.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

Just checked, coming from Heidelberg you will get into Cologne via A59, then the best P&R are either Koenigsforst or Brueck. Both are linked either to Tram line 1 and 9, which would bring you to Heumarkt ( next to the Old Town and the Cathedral) and it takes between 20 and 30 minutes. The tram leave every ten minutes during the weekday, and every 15 minutes during the weekend.

If you want to drive into town, one of the easiest spots to park your car is the Heumarkt multi store car park, which is located directly at the Deutzer Bridge. It is quite expensive though.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

It can get busy during the day, though this includes he motorways as well. But if you are not familair with the road structure, using public transport will makes your life easier and you might avoid some stress.

Troy
Level Contributor
203 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Heidelberg to Cologne for one day

I really appreciate your responses and interest. My husband and I will discuss. Thanks again!