We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in the evening with children

east sussex
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
what to do in the evening with children

we are a family of 4 ...2 adults t2kids 17 and 5 arrive in cologne by train on 20/12 around midday our plan is to put luggage in storage at station and see the christmas markets/sights etc.

we are getting the night train to copenhagen which leaves station around 10.30pm can anyone tell me a nice family restaurant we can go to eat and wait for our train,or any advice on what to do whilst waiting for the train

many thanks

bev

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,428 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in the evening with children

Well, I suppose it might be difficult to reconcile the interests of a teen of 17 and a kid of 5:-)).

If you don´t want to spend all the time on the Christmas markets you could perhaps visit the Cathedral or a museum, EG the Römisch Germanische Museum or the Rautenstrauch-Joest Museum, both would perhaps fit for younger children too

museenkoeln.de/roemisch-germanisches-museum/

museenkoeln.de/rautenstrauch-joest-museum/

As the Chistmas Markets are open till 10 PM you can spend some time there after dinner again, till your depart.

For dinner I would suggest one of the brewerie houses, there is a relaxed and funny atmosphere, or if you kids only like special food, EG Pizza, you will find a lot of international restaurants around the Altstadt too.

Enjoy

patara01

Edited: 15 November 2012, 22:33
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in the evening with children

To entertain your kids I would suggest a day trip to the theme park Phantasialand, which starts its Winterdream season on the 24th November. I am pretty sure both kids would enjoy it.

Check their website for more information

www.phantasialand.de/en/home

Also, the chocolate museum would be fun for them as well.

Dinner wise I agree with Patara's suggestion, definetely try at least once oneof the brewery houses

east sussex
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in the evening with children

thank you for the replies

i didnt realise that the markets were open so late so thats good, and will look into the brewerie houses and see what ones are more suitable for kids,unless they all are .

many thanks again we are really looking forward to our trip

bev

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,428 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in the evening with children

I don´t know if your children are fussy eaters, like many kids and youngsters are. So I would advice to look at the menues outside first and then make your choice. The ambience inside is pretty similar, although some of the brewerie houses are less touristy, as Scotsman has told you.

The Winter Wonderland at Phantasia Land in Brühl is a lovely event but I fear that it might be too far and expensive just for a couple of hours.

enjoy

patara01

Edited: 16 November 2012, 08:21
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in the evening with children

Ascending the Cathedral's south tower might be something kids would enjoy!

Also, there is an adventure and science museum that your kids might like: Cologne Odysseum (www.odysseum.de)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187371-…

I myself didn't particularly like it when I was there. I found it bad value for money. However, the five 7 to 8 year old girls I had brought along for a kid's birthday actually did like it.

6. Re: what to do in the evening with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:17