We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planned train/boat day trip

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Planned train/boat day trip

I've been reading responses to other inquiries and it has helped me (I hope) fine tune my own plans for Cologne, but I do have a couple of questions.

I originally thought we would take the train to Bacharach (from Cologne) then take the boat to Koblenz and train back from there.

After reading advice given to others, I now think we may take the train to Bingen (is Bingen (Rhine) the correct rail station?). And then take the boat up to Boppard, then train back to Cologne.

But someone else mentioned Rudesheim...would I miss a lot by not going that far?

When we were in Munich last year we made extensive use of the regional Bayern ticket. Is there one like that covering the itinerary I planned? We will be doing this on a Sunday in June if that matters.

Thank you.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,738 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planned train/boat day trip

"After reading advice given to others, I now think we may take the train to Bingen (is Bingen (Rhine) the correct rail station?). And then take the boat up to Boppard, then train back to Cologne."

That's the best part to cruise and the best way to do it.

"But someone else mentioned Rudesheim...would I miss a lot by not going that far?"

You don't miss much in the way of scenery since R'heim is almost directly across the river from Bingen. But it makes sense to start in Rüdesheim IF you want to visit Rüdesheim.

On Sundays, the "Happy Weekend" ticket, good for the regional trains, will allow 2-5 people to travel the area you have in mind - and all of Germany for that matter - all day long(42€, buy from a ticket machine at Cologne station.)

bahn.com/i/…happy_weekend_ticket.shtml

Use either the Bingen Rhein Hbf (main) station or the Bingen Rhein Stadt (city) station. The Stadt station is a little closer to the KD dock.

After your cruise. use the trains to visit the other interesting villages - Boppard itself, St. Goar, Bacharach, and Oberwesel are all enjoyable.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 16:40
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planned train/boat day trip

Thanks so much for your helpful information. That helps a lot.

We do want to spend some time in one of the towns, undecided as to which one right now.

On a Sunday, do you think the boats will be especially crowded? Is buying tickets in advance (if possible) advised?

Thanks again.

3. Re: Planned train/boat day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 06:17