We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne or Dusseldorf

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cologne or Dusseldorf

I have to go to Dusseldorf for work 2 days mid April. I will have wife and 14 and 9 year old. Which city would be better? Coming from Paris after 3 days there. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cologne or Dusseldorf

Both cities are beautiful. You can't go wrong with either. Given their close proximity, you can easily visit both based in either city.

I guess Cologne wins most tourists versus Düsseldorf simply because of its world famous Gothic cathedral.

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cologne or Dusseldorf

Both are of equal interest. Personally I prefer D-Dorf for better beer, nightlife and a few mins closer from where I live.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,555 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cologne or Dusseldorf

Cologne wins hands down. Düsseldorf is IMHO highly overated, and I would not call it "beautiful". Unless you are into either heavy beer drinking, or very posh shopping and yuppie culture, there isn't much reason to visit Düsseldorf. The region has more interesting destinations to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cologne or Dusseldorf

Cologne, hands down. Lots of old churches besides the cathedral. Very good museums. Roman history. More easy going.

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cologne or Dusseldorf

I am slightly biased, but Cologne is far more interesting, with the cathedral one sight you wont forget easily. I am also with Blandine, and find Dusseldorf a bit overrated.

Besides, Koelsch is by far the better beer than Alt from Duesseldorf. But again, I am biased

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,693 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cologne or Dusseldorf

I´m somewhat biased too, but after some visits at Dusseldorf I have noticed that this city has some very nice fascets too.

So I think you won´t go wronge with both cities, and it´s just a short (train) ride between them.

Mentioned in this post
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cologne or Dusseldorf

I don't think either place is beautiful, being mainly post-1945 reconstruction but I'd vote for Cologne over Düsseldorf esp. with kids that age (various kid-friendly museums include Chocolate and Sport as well as the Römisch-Germanisches.)

Düsseldorf when we were there last autumn was suffering from major redevelopment work in the centre so not even the Kö was beautiful (and as blandine says, there's the question of how much posh shops appeal in any case) . I enjoyed visiting the Goethe Museum but that's not of huge appeal to many!.

In fact I most enjoyed the day-trip i made to Zons http://www.dormagen.de/432.html and to Neuss which are both a lot prettier http://www.neuss.de/tourismus I found out about Zons from a tourist brochure, where it was described as being rather like Rothenburg ob der Tauber (without the tourists!)

Edited: 30 March 2013, 11:13
Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cologne or Dusseldorf

Thanks for the help!

9. Re: Cologne or Dusseldorf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 06:16