We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

Hi there,

So im going to be on a layover in Cologne at the end of the month from 9.30pm to 5am on a friday night...I've checked the tourist attractions but they are mainly during the day and by the time i get to the city it may well be 10pm.

Is there any point in me leaving the airport to walk around the city at night? ( maybe with my luggage in tow as i will be getting a seperate connecting flight) Is it safe city?

I checked the couchsurfing website and they dont seem to have a meet and greet on fridays which suck!

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

I'd try to get a bed at or close to the airport

koeln-bonn-airport.de/en/airport/hotels.html

as long as you don't want to party into the early hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

I dont mind finding a local bar and having a drink or two...but i dont want to go to the wrong area at night.

Can you suggest some local drinking spots or chill outs at nightime if i were to venture into the city.

Thanks

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

Sorry, I only live about an hour away from Cologne and it's a daytrip destination for me. I'm not familiar with the nightlife, I am sure others can help.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

I think you can stroll around the Altstadt (close to the main station) and just pop into any of the Brauhäuser (brewery pubs). On Friday night they will be very crowded , probably mostly tourists and sometimes boisterous but not dangerous:-) You could try the local beer "Kölsch" and have at least a look to the famous Dom (cathedral) from outside, next to the main station.

There are some more areas for nightlife, EG Belgisches Viertel and Ehrenfeld but it depends on your taste and the time you have to spend. Does your flight departs at 5 AM? In this case you must be back about 1 1/2 - 2 h. before..

Like Quiltneedle I´m not familiar with the actual nightlife in the city, not anymore:-)).

www.cologne.de/what-to-do/nightlife.html

www.worldtravelguide.net/cologne/nightlife

http://www.cologneweb.com/brauerei.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

Thank you for your help.. I looked at the links provided and i think Alter Wartesaal is my best bet as its close to the station and the Dom.

My flight leaves at 5am but hopefully i will get either the S13 train at 02.41 which arrives just before 3. Or the ICE train at 03.14 that arrives just before 3.30. Google is amazing :-).

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

It is not a touristic highlight, but it might be good for you to know that there is a super market ("REWE") inside the main station that is open around the clock.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

I think "Alter Wartesaal" has a good reputation, but it would be a pity if you don´t have at least a short stroll around the Altstadt with all the famous brewery houses. It´s very close together. And I don´t know how long the Alter Wartesaal has opened at night.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,920 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

The brewery houses closes usually around midnight, ut t here are plenty of bars in the Old Town where you can have a drink. You don't need to worry about safety there.

However, I would check when the S13 leaves central station for the airport - as you dont want to miss it. The journey to the airport takes around 15 min, so keep this in mind when planning your return trip to the airport

9. Re: 7 hour layover in Cologne at night...What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Cologne
Recent Conversations