We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

My daughters and myself are visiting my brother in Belgium. My sister will drive us to Germany but other than the great cathedral what to do in Cologne? Also we may return to see surronding area and are interested in a boat ride on the Rhine or tram OVER the Rhine? We also are considering Aachen and places that are close to Belgium border. Thanks in advance to all who take their time to assist!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

What are you interested in?

I'd suggest Römisch-Germanisches Museum for Roman artefacts, Museum Ludwig for art .

Click on "Things to do" on the green bar above.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,434 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

Quiltneedle is right, you should give us some more infos about your interests and preferences:history, culture, modern arts, shopping, strolling around the Altstadt and visit some brewery houses (just for the atmosphere, your daughters don´t need to drink beer :-),Kölsch), ride across the Rhine by cable car, a visit of the Zoo, ASO...

cologne-tourism.com/attractions-culture/muse…

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,067 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

I'm saying what I'm always saying in such cases. Set your daughters to the internet to do some research and come up with suggestions. They are old enough to take part in the planning, learn about a place, and figure out what THEY find interesting.

Xanten, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

things to do in cologne:

-see some roman sights (the "römisch-germanisches museum" for example)

-do some shopping with your daughters (the main shopping street, the "hohe straße", is just a few steps away from the cathedral)

-drink a "kölsch" (wich your older daughter is actually allowed to in germany since she went 16, and people wont really mind if the younger girl tastes a bit)

im a 14 year old boy living in the area, and i think that cologne is a great place to visit for people in my age, but also for adults, as it is historically interesting.

PS: if you´re interested in it, cologne also has an official hard rock cafe :)

there are quite a lot other interesting places that i would visit as you come all the way from the united states, for example

aachen, as you already said

bonn (wich was the capital of western germany)

dusseldorf (the second largest city in the area, i think; great especially for shopping, but sadly not as centralised as cologne)

koblenz (with a nice "altstadt")

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,539 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

- climbing on the south tower of the cathedral

views, largest free swinging bell on the planet, for a short time the highest building on the planet

www.koelner-dom.de/index.php…

- chocolate museum

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Imhoff-Schokoladenmuseum

- Hohenzollern Bridge

views on the cathedral/city, love locks, best at night fall

hdwallpapers.in/walls/cathedral_hohenzollern…

- Saturn Shop in the Hansahochaus

while the Hanshochhaus is itself a sight (1925 the highest skyscraper in Europe, paternoster lift - not open to the public) the shop may be more interesting for the girls. Albeit in times of MP3 downloads the largest CD/DVD offer is no more as impressive as it once was. Found only videos of instore gigs.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansahochhaus

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Hansah…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYiMZfANjt4

- brewery houses and Kölsch beer

are a Cologne specialty and thus also of interest.

http://www.nicecity.de/english/breweries.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_%28beer%29

> your daughters don´t need to drink beer

But can. As Kölsch comes in 0,2 l rods its easier to sample than the beer in Munich coming in 1 liter mugs. And as long as you order the beer also your 14 years old can legally drink one in Germany.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,434 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

@Matthias98, welcome on the forum.

From time to time there are families with teens, asking what would be interesting for them and most of us are older ones:-).

So it would be very helpful if you could post suggestions and recommendations from the viewpoint of a young person: -)).

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

Absolutely love that answer and I will do so this very night!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

You don't have to visit historic sights, my daughter at that age preferred to sit in parks and watch the world go by. Also, your children may be more interested in what others their age are doing. Travel should be more than just historic sights such as seeing how the current residents in a place live.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

I would actually suggest walking in the Old Town, visiting one of the brewery houses for a nice cold Koelsch, or sit at one the many cafes, having a coffee or ice cream (how do I miss that, and Koelsch of course).

If you kids are interested you could use the cable car over the river Rhine, or just spend time at the Rheinpark to relax.

This is in addition of the other great suggestion above

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mom and two teen daughters (14 and 17) what to do in Cologne

Considering you are travelling with kids, if you have time you could always spend a day at Phantasialand, which is a great theme park in Bruehl. Not cultural, but after all the sightseeing this could be something different for everyone....