We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs / Bars / Clubs

London
Level Contributor
190 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs / Bars / Clubs

Hi there,

Myself and 8 other guys are spending the weekend in Cologne in a couple of weeks time, for my friend's stag do.

We will be arriving late on a Friday night, staying near Zulpicher Platz. We would like some tips on good bars / pubs / clubs to go to on Friday and then Saturday night.

Can anyone help please?

I have already contacted Brauerei Päffgen and requested a table to try some good food and Kolsch.

Many thanks in advance

David

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs / Bars / Clubs

Good choice trying to get a table at Paeffgen, I am sure you will like it.

Though it has been a while since I went to clubs in Cologne, but the same guideline still applies.

For some more relaxed nightclubs and pubs stay at the Zuelpischer Strasse / Platz. Drinks are available for a very good price, and no fancy dress code required.

If you walk up past Rudolfplatz the clubs get a bit more 'high end'. No trainers etc, and prices are higher. You get clubs playing different kind of music.

Considering you are going to Paeffgen, you could easily go from there to one of the bars on the Kaiser Wilhekm Ring, before deciding to which kind of nightclub you want to go. As mentioned above, it all depends on the price range, and what kind of music you want to listen to.

Check out the following websites for some ideas:

www.cologne.de/what-to-do/nightlife.html

London
Level Contributor
190 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs / Bars / Clubs

Thanks so much for your reply.

We were thinking of spending Saturday at one of the 'beach bar' type places they have - Blackfoot Beach, and then coming back to eat / head out for drinks.

Would you say the Paeffgen is a good place to start the night for some food and beers? At say 7.30 / 8pm? Then head to bars and clubs after?

In terms of cost and music, we dont mind really.

So from Zulpicher Platz station, if we walked along a few of the roads there, can we literally do a pub crawl along without really having to plan a route? Or would you suggest planning where to go?

Also, bit worried we will be too old for the student district .. will we be ok?

Thanks so much again

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs / Bars / Clubs

The beach bar is a nice idea if the weather is good...

Paeffgen is a great place (if it is the one in the Friesenviertel). It is my favourite brewery house, great food, fantastic service and my favourite Koelsch. If you don't wear fancy dress party things you will be fine as a stag party. You can then visit so many different places (local pubs, trendy bars, sprts bars- all in that area between Friesenplatz and Rudolfplatz).

Regarding Zuelpischer Strasse, there are definetely enough places for a crawl. And don't worry, student areas in Germay are slightly different as University in Germany takes a bit longer, so you will find places that are suitable for 'older' groups.

4. Re: Pubs / Bars / Clubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 17:35
5. Re: Pubs / Bars / Clubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 05:15