We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Nights In Cologne

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
7 Nights In Cologne

Hi All

We are planning our first trip to Cologne & hoping to hiring an apartment for a week to coincide with the Christmas markets which I believe close on the 23rd December we are also staying over Christmas itself.

As I have never been before can anyone shed any light on if the city will be open over Christmas period, I guess like uk most will be shut on the 25th December.

We will be flying into cologne airport, does the city have good transport to get to & from airport & around the city

And lastly is there plenty of things to keep us busy & explore (usual tourist stuff) for 7 days as a keen photographer this will play a big part to our trip

Thanks for any help given

Darren

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Nights In Cologne

I try to answer all your questions.

The easiest one is regarding public transport. Cologne has a very good public transport system (I had to move away to realise how good it was!!!). The top question on the right side gives you the details to get from thenairport to the city centre. Otherwise the trams will go every day, though very limited service is offered on Christmas eve, and the Sunday schedule is used for Christmas and Boxing Day.

Shops will be closed from noon Christmas Day and open only again on the 27th. However, you will find brewery houses and several restaurants open on Christmas and Boxing Day. I am not sure about Christmas Eve for dinner though. You might need to explore. Pubs will eb open as well throughout Christmas.

So what can tou do over a seven day period. In Cologne itself you have 6 Christmas markets (actually 7 if you count the small one in Muelheim), obviously the cathedral (climb up the tower for some great opportunities for photos of the surrounding area). Cologne offers some very good museums (Walfraff Museum, Roman Germanic Museum etc). You should also walk along the banks of the River Rhine (cross the rail bridge to see the love locks, and have a stroll through the Rhein Park), and of coruse visit the Old Town. Seven days in Cologne could be too much, so have a day trip to Bonn, or take the train to head to Trier or Aachen for the day (easy to reach by train). I would also recommend Linz am Rhein, which is a beautiful medival town.

I hope I was able to answer some questions, and I am sure others will add some recommendations for your stay.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Nights In Cologne

I second a trip to Aachen or Trier - both wonderful cities and plenty to see/do there for a day or two in either or both. And your photographer will thoroughly enjoy either city - the Doms in both are amazing and both totally different to the one in Cologne. Be warned though, that in Trier, we found several places (Porta Nigra, the Boman Baths & Roman Ampitheatre closed as a result of bad weather/snow/ice - we were there mid January)

Take a guided tour of the Dom to see all the treasures close up.

+1 also for the Roman German Museum (right nect door to the Dom) and the Ludwig Museum (art) next door to that.

Cologne is a lovely city - great shopping and some fantastic restaurants along the riverside

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Nights In Cologne

Especially at Christmas Barlach's Hovering Angel in the Antonine Church (in the pedestrian zone) is a must. When last there (this year) I happened on the Kolumba Church/Museum. It is remarkable. Only part of the art was on display and it was well worth the time. What I saw was very modern, but I think the normal collection includes religious items. Bonn's history museum is very good and not far. Bruehl has a large collection of Max Ernst paintings. For food, I like Wein am Rhein, north of the Cathedral. Modern, but very good with a nice selection of wine.

4. Re: 7 Nights In Cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:21