We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne for 4 nights advice

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cologne for 4 nights advice

We are a couple flying to Dusseldorf on 7 Nov for 4 nights for our anniversary and have already decided that we would like to stay in Cologne for the duration, (but maybe spend half day in Dusseldorf?)

Would love some help please about what type of train ticket to get, that would get us from airport to Cologne return and in and around Cologne on trams, costs etc. should we do this separately? We love pubs, and bars, music, people watching and a bit of sightseeing/history of the city. We like nice hearty food at this time of the year too! I have heard about the Kolsh bars and keen to go, although my husband loves Budweiser, not malty heavy beers, will he find something that suits him please? Also he is a smoker, so any recommendations for comfortable outside places with heaters would be most welcome.

We are planning to stay in the Alstadt Nord area about 10 mins from the Dom, is this a good location?

Have few things planned like the Dom, thermal baths, Roman and Ludwig museums as well as the cable car trip for views (husband loves photography) but if there is anything else that people highly recommend, I would be very glad to hear from you. thanks for taking the time to read this long post! Helen

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,380 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cologne for 4 nights advice

To Cologne from Düsseldorf Airport you normally take the SkyTrain to the airport train station and from there you have direct RE (RegionalExpress) trains.

http://www.dus.com/dus_en/b_skytrain/

You have to buy the ticket before boarding the SkyTrain. Single ticket is EUR 10,80. These are zone-to-zone tickets covering all means of local public transport: regional trains, S-Bahn, Stadtbahn (mixture of trams and buses), trams, the SkyTrain and city buses.

The EUR 10,80 ticket is a single trip ticket. You can travel on it from any point in one city to any point in the other city. Round or return trips are not allowed. Stopovers are allowed - but the ticket is at max. valid for 6 hours. If you want to do a longer stopover in Düsseldorf buy additionally single tickets to cover the trip from the airport to the city center (EUR 2,50).

A mini group (2-5 persons) day ticket for Cologne is EUR 11,60. Albeit most sights are in the old city which is not small (Cologne was for centuries the biggest city in Germany) but still walkable.

> not malty heavy beers

Kölsch beer is neither malty nor heavy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_%28beer%29

> We are planning to stay in the Alstadt Nord area about 10 mins from the Dom, is this a good location?

Can you be more specific? The answer will be however most likely: No.

Besides the south tower of the Dom (a must do - or better must climb) there is also the observation deck on the KölnTriangle. A skyscraper just opposite the Rhine of the old city.

koelntriangle.de/observation_deck/home/index…

To get from the old city (Hauptbahnhof/Dom) to the KölnTriangle walk across the Hohenzollern Bridge (a railway and pedestrian bridge). Hohenzollern bridge with the Kölner Dom are a famous subject for photographers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern_Bridge

hdwallpapers.in/cathedral_hohenzollern_bridg…

Have also a look into some of the Romanesque (thus older than the Dom) churches of Cologne.

www.romanische-kirchen-koeln.de/kirchen.html

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,448 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cologne for 4 nights advice

Helen,

I think Abalada has provided some fantastic advise already (as usual), and I would like to add a few further bits.

Regarding the hotel, ten minutes from the cathedral is probably not too bad, so if it is not next to a tram / subway station you can easily walk to the cathedral. But difficult to say for sure without having more details.

Now for your actual stay. In addition to the advice regarding the Dom and the numerous churches in Cologne you will find some good museums in Cologne. I would highly recommend the Roman Germanic Museum opposite of the cathedral.

If you take the cable car from the Zoo to Deutz, I would recommend to walk along the river via the Rheinpark. It is a nice walk, and you can cross the river via the Hohenzollerbruecke.

I would also hghly recommend a trip to Linz am Rhein, which is a beautiful medieval town 30 miles south of Cologne. It gives a good contrast to Cologne, and it is nice just to walk through the town. Also, your husband might like the opportunities to take some great pictures.

Talking about photography, I would suggest two places to take some fantastic shots of Cologne at night. The first one is on the other side of the river Rhine of the Old Town, next to the Hohenzollerburecke - infront of the Hyatt Hotel.

Another good place is in Deutz at the Deutzer Bruecke, which is the bridge next to the Hohenzollerburecke on the other side of the old Town. From there you can get a good view of the cathedral, Old Town and even part of the Hohenzollerbuecke. One of my favourite pictures from Cologne is taken in the middle of the bridge where you have Gross Sankt Martin (the church in the Old Town) exactly in front of the cathedral. I am sure you will see what I mean if you stand there

Regarding food, if you like hearty food, you won't be disappointed I think. You can get some fantastic local food in the brewery houses. There are a few in the Old Town, but I would recommend either Paeffgen off Heumarkt, or Malzmuehle opposite of the Maritim Hotel near Heumarkt. Both are popular with locals as well. Check the following thread for some suggestions

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187371-i534-k68…

I hope you will enjoy your anniversary in Cologne

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cologne for 4 nights advice

Thank you both very much for some great suggestions, really looking forward to it

Helen

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cologne for 4 nights advice

Thank you both very much for some great suggestions, really looking forward to it

Helen

5. Re: Cologne for 4 nights advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:20