We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

I'm considering visiting Cologne for my 2014 holiday and I'm wondering a couple of things.

1. Would you recommend flying in or taking a train? I kind of dislike long train rides, but would consider it if it would give me a significant budget saving.

2. I like good weather like anyone else, but I am bad at dealing with particularly hot summer weather -- especially since I plan on a lot of walking and biking. What time of year would be best for me?

3. I would prefer saving on my accommodation so I can spend some more money on food and attractions. My only real wishes for accommodation are that I have a clean room close to public transportation. Any recommendations?

4. Perhaps a weird question, but is it doable to visit the village of Racksen with public transport from Cologne and if so, how long would it take to get there?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,335 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

There are no flights from Dordrecht to Cologne. Check the prices on www.bahn.de and on www.nshispeed.nl some times one is cheaper than the other. As for the weather it is not much differant to where you are,a bit less wind maybe

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

I think train would be the easiest way, much cheaper and probaly faster. From Amsterdam you can take the ICE, and it takes around 2 1/2 hours to Cologne (also stops in Utrecht and Arnheim).

I think May and June could be nice, but obvious it varies each year - so it is difficult to be 100% sure.

I would suggest using one of the hotel booking site, add the dates and check out for prices. I would highly recommend a hotel near a tram or subway station, as this will ensure you can easily travel throughout to Cologne.

Some nice areas to stay (and very central) are Old Town (obviously), Deutz (on the other side of Old Own, across the Cathedral), Friesenviertel, Mediapark, Severinsviertel etc. but as price is important, I would recommend check what offers you can find. If you find a few, post them on the forum and we can provide comments about location etc.

To your last question, you could get to Racksen through a mix of train and bus, and it takes between 2 and 3 1/2 hours. Check www.db.de/en , and you can check times on the right hand side.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

@Scotsman79: Could you recommend any hotel booking sites, especially ones I might not be aware of that offer accommodation in Cologne?

@Bongoblog: There are no flights from Dordrecht to Cologne because Dordrecht doesn't have an airport, I'd have to depart from Rotterdam-The Hague Airport or Schiphol if I were to take an airplane to my destination.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,335 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

There are klm flights from Schiphol but they are expensive and by the time you have got to the airport you could be well on the way Keulen.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

Well, I guess that settles my question about mode of transportation then.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,335 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

I just looked it up on NS it seems you have to change trains in Rotterdam and Utrecht so the journey takes 3.14 hours. Goede reis!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

I'd love to know why I should visit Racksen. I see online that it has a population of 163. Is there any other reason to spend 2 to 3 hours to get there? Thanks.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

Hi obsoperator,

I doubt you'd want to visit Racksen. It's indeedd a very small place without any tourist hotspots (as far as I know). I want to go there because I have a hobby called geocaching and a friend of me happens to have placed one in that area that I want to find.

Most people would call me crazy to spend so much time to get there, but that's it...

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,903 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

Well, the "Westerwald" isn´t too bad, it´s a nice rural area.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Netherlands to Cologne - 2014 holiday

I once used airbnb.com for my accommodation in Cologne. It was very clean and inexpensive. Have a look!