We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne the weekend before Christmas

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cologne the weekend before Christmas

A group of us are looking at going to Cologne on 20-22 December for some Christmas cheer. Mainly to browse the markets and get merry in some pubs/bars. Is this a good idea? Will it be insanely busy?

Can anyone recommend a decent area to go out at night for some drinks? We're a mixed group all in our late 20's so want somewhere fairly lively but maybe also traditional!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cologne the weekend before Christmas

I think it is a great idea. The Christmas markets in Cologne a beautiful oaces to visit with great atmosphere and good selection of drinks, food and presents. It will be very busy during the weekend (especially as it is the last one before Christmas), but worthwhile.

www.cologne.de/events/christmas-markets

For drinks I would highly recommend visiting one of the brewery houses. In the Old Town head either to Paeffgen or Malzmuehle. Besides the local beer you can also try local food (if any space is left after all the food you might had at the market). It is always nice atmosphere, as many peolle will hesd there for a beer and to escape the cold.

For more drinks later on you could head to the Ringe between Friesenplatz and Rudolfplatz, where you can find numerous bars, and nightclubs.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cologne the weekend before Christmas

I just want to second scotsman`s suggestions. It might be crowded, but we manged to get around quite well.

If you are fed up with the brewery pubs I would go to Friesenplatz , Zülpicher Straße (student bars) or to Ehrenfeld, another nightlife area

http://www.yelp.de/search?cflt=danceclubs&find_loc=Ehrenfeld%2C+K%C3%B6ln%2C+Nordrhein-Westfalen

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cologne the weekend before Christmas

Thanks for the advice. There's 8 of us booked from 20-22 December now and are staying at the Azimut Hotel near Hansaring. Really looking forward to it now!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cologne the weekend before Christmas

If you intend to do a lot of shopping and shop browsing, start immediately after arrival on Friday. Saturday is going to be extremely busy, the busiest day of the year, and since Cologne's shopping streets are rather narrow there will be wall-to-wall crowds, not much fun. On Sunday shops stay closed, but the Christmas markets are open.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cologne the weekend before Christmas

Thanks for the reply, we'll probably mostly just stick to the markets and the pubs but i'll mention to the rest of them that if they want to do some proper shopping then Fridays the day to do it!

6. Re: Cologne the weekend before Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:21