We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas market opening

Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Topic
Christmas market opening

We are going to Cologne to see the Christmas Market there. However, we are thinking about the date to go, which one is the best choice: 21 - 22 December or 22 - 23 December ? Is there anyone can help us with this ? Thank you a lot

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
The Cologne Christmas Market
The Cologne Christmas...
366 Reviews
Cologne, Germany
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas market opening

I am not sure it will make a big difference. As these are the last three days of the markets being open, it will be busy all three days.

The 23rd has the advantage that some stalls will offer reduced prices, mainly the stalls with sweets and chocolates.

Otherwise it all depends what is easier for you to get there.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,751 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas market opening

I suppose, but I´m not sure, that the 21./22. might be even more crowded because it´s a weekend.

The 23. is the last day before Christmas Eve so perhaps many people have to make preparations for the holidays.

From a houesewife´s viewpoint:-))

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,581 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas market opening

Both Saturday 21st and Monday 23rd will be quite a zoo in the shopping streets of the city centre. I'd expect Saturday to be even worse, though, as on Monday people will be occupied with shopping for food and such for the holidays, cleaning the house and similar *pleasant* activities. The last Saturday before Christmas is usually hell.

Shops are closed on Sunday, the markets will still be busy but you won't have the invasion of shoppers from near and far.

4. Re: Christmas market opening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 04:18