We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonge to Paris

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
239 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Colonge to Paris

I would end up Germany trip in Cologne, then go to Paris (by German rail pass and France rail pass). The route from Cologne to Paris may be ICE or TGV(one or the other). How to reserved seat of these train ?. Can I reserved in Cologne HBF before travel day?.And can I mixed the German rail pass within German and France rail pass (across the border) in one route from Cologne to Paris?. Any advice are appreciated.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 17:12
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonge to Paris

Can't speak for the validity of the passes - but if you want to reserve a seat, you can do that at a DB ticket machine or service counter. It'll cost €4.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonge to Paris

There are direct Thalys trains from Cologne to Paris Nord. They go through Belgium. Not pass friendly at all. But you can check for discounted specials with www.thalys.com

Rail pass works only if it covers the complete route. And than this will still cost an hefty surcharge of EUR 51,00.

Another option is to travel by ICE and/or TGV trains via Mannheim to Paris Est. This route is covered by a combination of a German and French Rail Pass. The trains to Paris Est require compulsory seat reservation. Which is EUR 4,00. You can reserve seats at Cologne (or at any other German train station with a counter).

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
239 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colonge to Paris

thanks so much for your answer. I found the train schedule in website DB BAHN , I selected one that depart from Koln Hbf.at 7.55 am. and arrived in Paris at 12.50 pm.(4.55 hr.). There are 2 ICE train (1013 and 513) depart from Koln Hbf., and dont show platform no. How do I know the platform no. to catch the train and which train should I travel?.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colonge to Paris

Did you take into account the surcharges and the fact that seat reservations are usually OBLIGATORY on most long distance trains, even non-Thalys? You cannot just hop on and hop off, even with a pass.

Platforms tend to always be the same, so you can read the wide paper schedules (make sure you are at "Abfahrt", I forget which color that sheet is) posted in every station. The USUAL platform is on that sheet. But also check the highly automated signboards in the entry hall of the station you are in. Look for the "Composition of Trains" signboard on the platform in case only SOME cars on your train go THROUGH to the city of your destination. While on the ticket website, click to expand the Intermediate Stops and Journey Details so that you have a list of any possible TRANSFERS you might need to make.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
239 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colonge to Paris

thanks so much for your information. I consider about Thalys because it is direct train and take short time. If I travel by Thalys from Koln to Paris, can I stopover in Brussel for a few hour.? Should I buy ticket in Koln 1 day before travel day or buy online in advance? thanks for any advice.

6. Re: Colonge to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 05:17