We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philly
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

Hello,

I'm going to be in Cologne for a couple nights in April 2014, and right now my options are looking to be the Radisson Blu or the art'otel using some of my Club Carlson points (same amount for both hotels), or paying for an apartment in the center of town (likely through Airbnb).

While neither hotel appears to be in a perfect location, how well can I get around from them without a car (likely going to the usual tourist spots in/around the city)? Is it worth it to spend 150-200 EUR on an apartment in the old town or just West of there? Thanks!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,810 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

Just my opinion, I wouldn´t pay for another hotel or apartment.

The Art`otel is next door to the Chocolate museum and I like this area pretty much. And it´s within a walking distance to all the usual sightseeing places.

The Radisson Blue is close to the Messe Deutz, across the river, but if I´m right with easy access of the Altstadt just by walking across the Hohenzollern Bridge or by S Bahn. But as I´m not very familiar with this area I would wait for the advice of other forumites.

Prestatyn, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

Cologne is easy to get around on foot, so walking to the Altstadt from the Art`otel will take about 5-10 mins , The Radisson in Deutz takes about 20 -25.It can be quite an isolated walk at night when you get near the hotel.

As said I would choose the Art`otel only a pleasant stroll along the Waterfront from Town.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

As the other said, both hotels are in good locations. The Art'Hotel is slightly more central, but the Radison is very close as well (easily reached by public transport from anywhere in Cologne.

Def not worth to spend any money for a different hotel...

Philly
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

Thank you very much for your responses!

A side question - we were deciding between Dusseldorf and Cologne when our choice was made for us. Dusseldorf was almost completely booked, with the few hotels left costing 250-350EUR per night! Is there some event going on April 7-9 in town?

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,810 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

There are two trade fairs at this time, "Tube" and "Wire", and it might be that the rates are going on because of all those visitors.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

I would echo what others said about the hotels. I stayed near the chocolate museum (across the street from the art'otel) and it was less than 10 minutes walk to the cathedral and the center of things -- very centrally located even though it doesn't necessarily look like it on a map!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,810 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

I like this area pretty much, all the little streets with normal residental life. You can get to the Altstadt very quickly as well as to the "Ringe" (Ubierring, Hohenzollernring, ASO) which are more posh areas. A good location, IMO.

8. Re: Staying in a hotel on points, or pay for something closer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:17