We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three nights in Cologne with two children.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Three nights in Cologne with two children.

Hi. Our family are visiting Cologne for the first time for three nights in April this year. Our children are 10 and 12. I have done some research and was thinking of visiting the Cologne Dom/Cathedral, Schokoladen Museum/chocolate factory, Romanish-Germanisches Musueum (Roman-German Museum) Is there anything else people would recommend? I understand and speak some German but the rest of the family don't.

Basilika St. Aposteln
Churches & Cathedrals
St. Maria Himmelfahrt
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Eglise Saint Andre
Churches & Cathedrals
Churches & Cathedrals, Sacred & Religious Sites
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,100 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three nights in Cologne with two children.

We loved Cologne. We were there in January and I was disappointed the Sailbahn didn't run in winter. tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g187371…

Check out the Hohenzollern Bridge with the thousands of padlocks - really cool too

At the top of the Cologne forum front page, in the green bar is a link to 'things to do' - I'm sure there will be more things ther that would interest the kids

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,886 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three nights in Cologne with two children.

You mentioned quite a few bits you could do in Colgone. There are two more things you could do, which your kids would love.

First is the Cologne Zoo, and the second one is going to the theme park Phantasialand. It is a great, family friendly aprk, and I am sure your kids (and the two adults) would love it.

Level Contributor
2,606 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three nights in Cologne with two children.

Not easy and you have hit the main points. Bonn is not far and has a cool museum of contemporary German culture - more day-to-day things, not abstract art. I have been most impressed by the cathedral by seeing it from a high rise just outside the city center. I don't know which ones might have roof top restaurants or observatories. I think everyone - young or old - has to spend 5 minutes looking at Ernst Barlach's floating angel in the Antonite Church (in the pedestrian zone, close to shopping - a good place to sit down after lots of walking and contemplate something more lasting). I was also amazed at the contemporary art collection in St. Columba Church, also in the center of town. NOT what you might expect in a church related collection. There are very cool, new buildings along the Rhine, mainly south of the train station. For example Kranhaus. Re language - there is ALWAYS someone close by who is all too willing to show off their (pretty fluent) English. It makes learning German more an academic pursuit than a necessity. Too bad. We English speakers have one more reason not to learn a foreign language.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,669 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three nights in Cologne with two children.

You have already got some very good suggestions, and I agree with RobLaw47 that Kolumba is a very special museum, built on the ruins of the old church, a very modern architecture with exceptional exhibitions.

But there is still another museum, that might be fit for children, the Rautenstrauch -Joest-Museum. You should have a look at the homepage, they even have a "Junior Museum" and when I was there I noticed a lot of families with children

Not sure if the cable car is running again across the Rhine at your travel dates, that might be interesting for kids as well.

5. Re: Three nights in Cologne with two children.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 05:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor