We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne in February: budget self catering

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
6 posts
Save Topic
Cologne in February: budget self catering

Booked flights for 5 nights in Cologne from the end of next week for partner and wife.

Looking for self-catered accommodation/availability of kitchen to cut down eating out costs.

On a very strict budget! Any thoughts about accommodation? I know it's last minute.

And is the cost of food in the shops reasonable - never been to Germany before but have always wanted to as I'm studying the language.

Many thanks.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cologne in February: budget self catering

have you looked at sites like www.airbnb.com ?

cost of food is entirely dependent on what you want to eat - you need to provide a bit more info before people can help.

What is a 'strict' budget? - better to use a number than be open to interpretation fo what this means

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cologne in February: budget self catering

Can't help you with the self-catering place to stay, but I wanted to say something about the cost of food.

Those living off Hartz IV (social security) get about EUR 4 for food a day. It is feasible to live on that budget, and some politicians even tried to prove that a healthy diet could be maintained that way. But it is something that requires some thought. And the problem also is that, in order to live cheaply, you'd have to buy a packet of something first, which you might not finish during your trip - coffee, tea, cereals, sugar, cooking oil?

So I'd budget a little more than this. Maybe EUR 7. This is a vacation, after all. ... I'm not exactly sure how much it costs, because I've not kept my cash journal up to date - but I know that I am spending a little more than those EUR 4. I've been thinking about this often.

Don't buy your food at a normal supermarket (Rewe, Edeka), it's too expensive there. You'd have to go to a discount store, and Aldi is the best where choice and quality are concerned. So once you've found your accommodation, google for the nearest one.

If you want to buy organic food, the dm drugstore is a good choice. They have great cereals that come in smaller packages (so you won't have to leave much of them behind) and are better than those from Aldi. They also have organic milk. The price range is similar to that of non-organic food in a normal supermarket. Their website is www.dm.de, to find the nearest shop.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,810 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cologne in February: budget self catering

As Petra has mentioned, you have to buy some things for a normal meal, like spices, sugar ASO, and for a short stay of 5 days it might be more economical to buy convenience food, and perhaps some vegetable like tomatoes and cucumbers, eggs, cheese and bacon, so you can prepare some decent simple meals.

You can buy them everywhere, ALDI or Lidl might be the cheapest choices but if they are far from your flat you have to consider the ticket prices too.

BTW, you can drink the tap water without problems, so you don´t need to buy bottle water.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cologne in February: budget self catering

There is no need to buy food from Aldi or Lidl only. Recent televised "discounter checks" have proven that normal supermarkets like REWE or Edeka have a wider choice but always have one product per category that is exactly as cheap as at Aldi or Lidl. So if you always buy the cheapest product in a product category you pay exactly the same in all supermakets.

Since you wrote that you want to learn German, you can check that tv program yourself:

…daserste.de/sendungen_a-z/799280_reportage-…

Cairo, Egypt
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cologne in February: budget self catering

Since 20 years i stay during carnival days at Station hostel near from the koln central main station ,17 Euros per night. They have a kitchen and they offer FREE materials like eggs,oil,onion ,spices and macaroni.

Enjoy your stay

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,810 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cologne in February: budget self catering

Is it this one, and there are some more hostels

http://www.booking.com/hotel/de/station-hostel-for-backpackers.de.html?aid=318615;label=New_German_Hotel-Q76i1N9UDfFhfznhaDJXBwS18359443105%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg%3Akw_inurl%3Abooking.com%2Fhotel%3Aws%3D;sid=94161552a4ee29ec202fbff060e7c930;dcid=1;srfid=2cd09080f346d8a414340b3f4d620b143c072878X1

Cairo, Egypt
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cologne in February: budget self catering

Yes it is station hostel in cologne,through booking.com. Booking.com charges 25% so it is better to make reservation direct to the hostel.

8. Re: Cologne in February: budget self catering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:20