We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover in Cologne

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
184 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover in Cologne

Hello,

Plan to do a stopover between Cochem and Amsterdam, just to see the Cathedral. How long should I allow to leave luggage in lockers, see the cathedral and go back to the station? Are two hours enough?

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover in Cologne

Two hours should be plenty.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover in Cologne

If possible try three hours. This would cover the cathedral, maybe a quick stroll through the Old Town and lunch in one of the brewery houses to try the local beer Koelsch and typical Cologne cuisine

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
184 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover in Cologne

Thank you!

CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover in Cologne

Hiya! Keep in mind that if you want to visit the top of the Dom (cathedral) und/oder visit the treasury, your visit may easily take 2-3 hours (or more), with being in the Dom, alone. Have a great hols, ja? Cheers!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover in Cologne

Can you add more time? The German Roman museum right next door to the Dom is fantastic and IMO a 'must see'

If you can, take a guided tour of the Dom - you will get to see much more than if you just wander through yourself..

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
184 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover in Cologne

Anjalia79, thmoore, no more than 3 hours (total time) is all I have for now, I'll save your tips for another visit.

Thank you, Danke schön!

CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover in Cologne

Enjoy the Dom und bitte schön!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover in Cologne

For your convenience the cathedral was built right next to the main train station (Köln Hauptbahnhof).

…flickr.com/36/80000466_1ea76ec6b5_o.jpg

At Köln Hauptbahnhof they don't have classical luggage lockers but an automatic luggage storage system.

…blogger.de/static/…koff01.jpg

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
184 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover in Cologne

Wow... didn't know that it was so close! This is good to know, because it looks farther in Google Maps.

I'm speechless... what a great view! Looking forward to seeing it. Thank you for your input.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,738 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stopover in Cologne

After so many years visiting Cologne, the view from the main station to the Cathedral is still a "WOW" experience for me.

I would try to get a guided tour, but they are on set hours.And perhaps you can climb up to the church tower

www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=19173&L=1

www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=19920&L=1

Enjoy

patara01