We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne on Sunday

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Topic
Cologne on Sunday

We will be visiting Cologne on a Sunday. Are restaurants open and any shops?

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cologne on Sunday

Restaurants will be open. The only shops that will be open are at the main rail station.

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cologne on Sunday

How lively is the city on Sunday evening? I would be interested in having a beer and an authentic German meal after a day of sightseeing.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cologne on Sunday

If you want typical German food togtehr with the local beer Koelsch you should try one of the brewery house. They should be busy on a Sunday evening (not as much as Frdiay or Saturday).

If you want to stay in the Old Town I usually recommend visitng either Brauhaus Paeffgen (Salzgasse - a little alley off Heumarkt (parallel to the road towards the Altermarkt), or Malzmuehle opposite of the Maritime hotel at the tram station Heumarkt. In my view they serve the best food. Persoanlly I find Frueh (thpughnit has a great location near the cathedral if you just want have a beer), Peters or Sion rather touristy, and the food only medicore.

Mentioned in this post
Paeffgen
Paeffgen
870 Reviews
Cologne, Germany
Heumarkt
Heumarkt
433 Reviews
Cologne, Germany
Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cologne on Sunday

Thank you so much for detailed info.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cologne on Sunday

Restaurants are open, but shops will be closed. (It's the law.)

However, there is an exception: There are lots of shops at the main station. It's almost like a little mall. The reason that there are so many shops at the station is that these are exempt from the law, just like shops at the airport, or the little shop there is at every gas station.

6. Re: Cologne on Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:17