We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt - Mainz-Bingen-Braubach - Koblenz - Cologne

Coogee, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Frankfurt - Mainz-Bingen-Braubach - Koblenz - Cologne

Hello all,

I would very much appreciate it if you could help me to plan my route from Frankfurt to Cologne. I have never be so confused with planning a trip.

I will be joining other 3 girl friends on 30th March in Frankfurt and we are going to Amsterdam for tulip festival. We have 2 days - leave in the morning in Frankfurt and would like to visit Bingen, Brauback, Koblenz and stay over in Cologne for a night. We would like to do the cruise on Rhine river as well.

I am wondering if we should hire a car in Frankfurt and drive to Cologne and stop over in the towns we like to visit? or shall we just catch trains and ferry to Cologne?

From Cologne to Amsterdam, is it better to drive or catch train?

Thank you very very much for your response in advance.

Jenny

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt - Mainz-Bingen-Braubach - Koblenz - Cologne

I would recommend you just get the train, both from Frankfurt to Cologne (takes approx. 1 hour), and from Cologne to Amsterdam - as parking is difficult and costly there. Look on www.diebahn.de You can change the language to English on the webpag. Depending on how often you want to use the trains, it might be worth getting a rail card, which can be cheaper if you're under a certain age.

Edited: 25 March 2014, 20:47
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt - Mainz-Bingen-Braubach - Koblenz - Cologne

I can understand that it can be a tough choice.

I think one issue is that the 30th March is low season for a boat trip, which means there are limited departure time. I have added a link for the times.

http://www.kdrhine.com/rhineschedule.htm

Saying that, it is a beautiful part of Germany, and the scenery is fantastic. If you decide to take the ferry, take into consideration that you need to take the train to Cologne.

An alternative way is to take the train, some trains go the scenic route (unfortunately I cannot remember which one, but hopefully Abalada could provide more information). The advantage is you arrive earlier in Cologne. You could then take a train to Amsterdam (no need to hire a car imo) late afternoon on day two. Gives you a chance to explore Cologne a bit more. If you check some of the previous threads you can find some good advise where to eat and what to do.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt - Mainz-Bingen-Braubach - Koblenz - Cologne

The KD website has a list of cruises that do take place in low season (in German only):

https:/…

There will be a cruise from Rüdesheim to St. Goarshausen and another one from St. Goar to Boppard.

So you could take a local train from Frankfurt to Bingen or Rüdesheim and cruise to St. Goarshausen, St. Goar or Boppard.

To get to the Marksburg at Braubach:

Cruise to St. Goarshausen and take the train to Braubach to visit the castle. Could be difficult with your luggage, though.

Alternatively, cruise to St. Goar or Boppard, take the train to Koblenz, put your luggage into the lockers and take the train to Braubach and back.

If you are ok with taking a local train from Koblenz to Cologne, you could use the Schönes Wochenende Ticket for all your train rides.

4. Re: Frankfurt - Mainz-Bingen-Braubach - Koblenz - Cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:15