We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jarrow, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
390 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

What would be the cheapest day return ticket for two people ? I am getting 44 euros on DB website, is there a way of getting a special day ticket ? Thanks in advance.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

Select at the DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

as means of transport "only local transport".

There is a mini group day ticket "SchönerTagTicket NRW 5 Personen" (North Rhine-Westphalia Ticket) which is EUR 41,00.

bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany-regiona…

This ticket covers the regional trains between both cities and the trams and buses in either city. Is however on weekdays only valid from 9am on. No such restriction on Sa or Su.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

As there is no reason for anyone to visit Gelsenkirchen except for football, if this is also the case for you the train ticket from the VRS/VRR border is covered by your match ticket. You only need a ticket from Cologne to Leverkusen. For 2 people, 4 single tickets (zone 2 b) cost € 13,70.

Jarrow, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

Wonderful, thanks for that, will spread the word amongst my fellow Newcastle fans, taking my better half to the game as part of a two week tour of Germany, i've told her Gelsenkirchen is beautiful and has Germany's biggest and best shopping centre.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

Mini group (2-5 persons) day ticket VRS price level 2b is EUR 15,30.

If you use the the 4 single tickets offer validate the 2 tickets you use for the return trip before boarding the train to Cologne.

> and has Germany's biggest and best shopping centre.

Guess you mean the CentrO which is however in Oberhausen and not in Gelsenkirchen. Albeit both are in the Ruhr district, the largest urban agglomeration in Germany.

http://www.centro.de

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhr

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

Gelsenkirchen and beautiful is not a combination you hear often...

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

I don´t know if Centro Oberhausen is still the biggest shopping center but the area is pretty nice. There is a promenade outside along an artificial canal, with numerous restaurants and cafes, a playground, a cinema, Legoland and Sealife.

As to Gelsenkirchen - well, ZOOM is worth a visit, if you like zoos :-))

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
593 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

Zoom is certainly worth a visit and there's also a nice museum next door to it, so another thumbs up for Gelsenkirchen.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

If you visit Centro Oberhausen, there's a spy museum next to it, which is called "top secret". If you go there anyway, you might want to check it out.

I haven't seen it, I only know about it because I met someone who works there. ... Centro is not that spectacular. The shops aren't any different from those in the city center of, say, Cologne. And you have to go to the Centro by bus, there is no subway.

Jarrow, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

Ah sorry, i was only joking about shopping centres, i had to get my girlfriend to agree to going to Gelsenkirchen to watch a football friendly match somehow. i'm sure she will like it when she gets there.

10. Re: Cheapest train Cologne to Gelsenkirchen Sunday 3 August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:17