We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne to Rothenburg en route to Munich.

Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cologne to Rothenburg en route to Munich.

After a few days in Cologne my husband and I want to head to Rothenburg en route to Munich. With limited time on our German holiday we have decided to skip the Black Forest area and head to Bavaria. However there are a few things I was hoping to do between cologne and Munich.

1. Take a cruise along the most picturesque part of the Rhine. Where would that be ? I have read it is between Koblenz and Bacharach. If so do we just take a train from Cologne to Koblenz and can we bring our luggage on board?

2. Would the smartest idea be to then spend the rest of the Day and that night in Bacharach and pick up a rental car in the morning to head to Rothenburg . Is there a picturesque route with stops we could make? If not, the other option is to take a train to Rothenburg and then pick up a rental car there? Or skip Bacharach all together and head to Rothenburg straight away?

3. We want to then stay in Rothenburg for one night and then drive the romantic road between Rothenburg and Munich( we do have a garage for the car in Munich.) Our hope is then to use the car for exploring Bavaria .

Any comments about the above possible plans or stops we should make would be greatly appreciated.

In all we will only have two nights and three days for this Cologne to Munich journey and if we do use a car we don't want to waste our time sitting in traffic.

Thank you.

1. Re: Cologne to Rothenburg en route to Munich.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:17