We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

Hi,

I'd be in Dusseldorf for a week due to work. I am interested to visit either Netherlands like Amsterdam or Belgium like Brussels. I need an advise which city to visit that is close by Dusseldorf that does not cost me too much travel time. Plus I am budget conscious. :) Please advise me which is better :)

PS: Its my first time in Europe, so I'd like to make the most out of it.

Thank you!

-Liz

Mentioned in this post
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Europe
Europe
World
9 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,063 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

Forget Brussels, it has a nice square and a cool old town kinda street and the people are nice, but if you only have a choice of one place, Amsterdam it is! One of the best cities on earth

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

If you go to Amsterdam check the deutsche Bahn Site for cheap tickets if you know when you like to travel and a bit flexible with time you can find good deals. There is a direct train to Amsterdam. Would suggest you stay 1 night in Amsterdam and if you want to visit museums you are able to buy tickets upfront and a canal tour is also nice depart close from the central station.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

If you go to Amsterdam check the deutsche Bahn Site for cheap tickets if you know when you like to travel and a bit flexible with time you can find good deals. There is a direct train to Amsterdam. Would suggest you stay 1 night in Amsterdam and if you want to visit museums you are able to buy tickets upfront and a canal tour is also nice depart close from the central station.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

Thank you for your replies :) I was actually considering Amsterdam more than Brussels/ Belgium. I have another question though, when I checked the Train ticket prices, I was abit confused with it. It shows a price of 49euros on a certain schedule. Is that for one way only or for back and forth travel already. This is by the way from the deutsche bahn website. thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

I've seen round trips for your journey as low as 49 euros and single trips from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam Centraal for 49 euros, so it is hard to say which is the one you are looking at.

Go to the German Rail website and enter the details for your outbound and return journeys.

You'll be offered three options for the Dusseldorf to Amsterdam leg. The options come in two columns marked "Savings fares" and "Flexpreis" . Select your preferred option by clicking on "Return journey".

It will again show you three options with the two columns and prices. Click on "To offer selection" on the preferred time for your trip. You will then see the page where you can select the "Savings fare" or "Flexpreis" ticket for your roundtrip.

Mentioned in this post
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

Whats the difference between savings fare and Flexpreis? Would it be much better if I buy my tickets when I arrive in Dusseldorf?

Thank you for your reply @TelePort :)

Mentioned in this post
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

I am trying to book my ticket right now and this is what it shows:

1 adult, 2nd class

Düsseldorf - Amsterdam C., Return Ticket

Sparpreis Europa BeNeLux

This is a linked train route. This means your ticket is only valid for the exact trains printed on your ticket. A limited number of tickets are available for purchase up to one day before date of travel. Exchange/Refund before 1st day of validity 19,00 EUR, after excluded.

Price: 69,80 euros

is this already for both tickets? Dusseldorf - Amsterdam - Dusseldorf?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

"Whats the difference between savings fare and Flexpreis?"

The "Saver fare" has more restrictions than the "Flexpreis" and should cost less.

To see all the options for the "Flexpreis" enter the word in the Search Box located in the upper right corner of the German Rail webpage. On the next page click on "Terms and Conditions" to see the extras that you can use for the higher price.

Do the same for "Saver fare" to see the limitations that you have for the lower fare.

"Düsseldorf - Amsterdam C., Return Ticket"

Yes, you have a ticket from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam and back (Return) to Dusseldorf.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)

Thank you so much TelePort! :) you've helped me a lot lol.

Reply to: Dusseldorf to Netherlands or Belgium? Please help :)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted