We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altstadt, Altbier

Walhain, Belgium
Level Contributor
250 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Altstadt, Altbier

I will be visiting Dusseldorf briefly next month for the first time since the mid 1980s.

I remember the Altstadt was the place to go out and I also remember the altbier served from wooden casks (by gravity, not a pump).

Which part of the Altstadt is the best to go for bars that might serve this sort of beer?

Many thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Altstadt, Altbier

Which Altbier would you recommend trying? We are going for the 1st time this weekend and I've not tried it before.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,099 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altstadt, Altbier

This article from the Washington Post is an excellent introduction into the different beer cultures in Cologne and Düsseldorf: https:/… Füchschen and Uerige are a must in D'dorf.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Altstadt, Altbier

Thanks for this info. We have booked a restaurant on the Saturday and they serve Fuchschen so that is good. What is your opinion on Schlosser Alt...............I have seen a lot of bad reviews on this beer but never tried it.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,099 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altstadt, Altbier

Afaik Schlösser is not even brewed in Düsseldorf anymore but in Dortmund. It is an Alt brand marketed nationwide by the Radeberger group, Germany’s largest beer corporation. Oh well...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Altstadt, Altbier

I will give that a miss then. I haven't heard anything good about this beer yet!

Can you recommend any traditional German restaurants to go to? We are booked in at Vossen on the Saturday night and there for 3 further nights.

Prestatyn, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altstadt, Altbier

Try here, it's a bit of a Dusseldorf institution. The beer is excellent and the food is hearty and simple.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate…

as seen in Auf wiedersehen pet !!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Altstadt, Altbier

That looks class, thanks for the tip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
1,154 posts