We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

Has anyone else had any bags or hand luggage stolen at either the check in counters or in the Airport at Dusseldorf??

I had my carry on bag stolen at check in, and the Lufthansa check in Clerk said it happens all the time??

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

I am sorry you lost your bag, but I am confused. If it is a carry-on, you wouldn't be checking it, so how did it get stolen at check-in?

Did you have it sitting there and someone took it? Or did you have it in luggage storage, was it taken during security check, etc.? You can help other travelers by providing a bit more information about the situation so that others can be alert about it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

I have done that on another forum, but I will explain what happened.=

I placed my carry on bags ( a suitpack and a smaller bag) on the ground to check my other suitcase in.

The check in clerk said that she could not find my booking, which was strange as I gave her my Lufthansa FF card and passport. I said I had the E-Ticket in my hand bag, I went to get it and it was gone!!

This took just a couple of minutes at the most. There was 3 check in desks and only one other customer checking in, and yet no one saw the guy take it, only when I said it had been stolen, the check in clerk saw the man running away.

I then asked to call the police. The check in girl was more interested in checking me in, that calling the police. The other passenger who was checking in at the next desk, found a police Woman, who then took me over to the police station to report the theft.

The check in clerk said " it happens all the time" " they bus them in" I then asked why there was no security, or at least a barrier, it it was so frequent, and she replied " they even steal from passengers checking in to the First Class check in, and that has a glass wall around it" The police also confirmed it was a regular occurance.

If Lufthansa and the Police state that it happens regularly, why do they not put a sign up at the check in counter, and some form of barrier, like in other airports?

When I asked the police about security camera's, they remarked " they do not work all the time"

Is this Germany? I jhave travelled to some of the most dangerous places in the World, and I have not had anything stolen before!

Spmething is wrong at Dusseldorf Airport. and when does Lufthansa's duty of care to its passengers start?

Edited: 05 October 2011, 07:27
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Such an event does not speak highly of the airport personnel or your fellow passengers. No one should be near you when you are at the check-in counter and people should be told to remain in the waiting area line until the next person can he helped. I always stand with a foot touching my carry-on while standing somewhere, then it is obvious that some one is attempting to take it.

I would have thought airport personnel should be more observant, especially if this is a common occurrence, security cameras should be functioning, but I'm not really surprised by your fellow passengers as someone once stole an expensive laptop computer from a friend's daughter on the train when she left it on her seat to use the bathroom. Her fellow passengers just watched the young man walk away with it without saying a word.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

It was not a fellow passenger that stole my bag. The re was only one other passenger checking in at the business counter, and she was at the next counter.

The their was seen running out of the airport.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

I`m sorry about your misfortune and can understand very well that you are annoyed now, and even more, because you had a unpleasant stay at the airport hotel the night before.

But I don´t feel very comfortable when you ask" is this Germany?".

No, I don´t think (and hope) that Germany is a country full with robbers and thiefs and nobody cares about it.. Of course such crowded places like airports, train stations, malls, museums ASO often attract those guys but it is similar in other countries too. And to be honest, who really notice and read warning signs on the walls?!? I remember some loudspeaker announcements at Dusseldorf Airport two years ago, which adviced to be observant with the luggage because of 1. pickpockets and 2. people who try to put any dubious things into unattended bags.

Perhaps there should be more police or security presence but I´m sure, some travellers would feel uncomfortable with this situation too....

And please, don´t judge our country just by this admittedly bad incident:-)).

Edited: 05 October 2011, 22:04
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

Dar patara01.

I have been visiting Germany for over 35 years, and have many very close friends in your beautiful Country. That is why I asked " is this really Germany" as it is not something that I would expect to happen in a German airport.

The check in area was not crowded at all, if fact as I mentioned there was only one other passenger checking in at the next check in counter. If you have been to Dusseldorf Airport recently, you would see that the Lufthansa check in area for business class is in a separate quiet area.

Your comment " And to be honest, who really notice and read warning signs on the walls?!? I do!!

Would you really expect to be robbed at the Lufthansa business class check in, at Dusseldorf airport, when there was no crowd around??

The point that you missed, was that both the Lufthansa check in clerk and the Police both stated that this was a regular occurance.

If this is the case, why have they not done something about it???

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

I' can't believe the check in clerk saw "someone running away" and never thought to raise the alarm.

I'm off in a couple of weeks so thanks for the heads up.

Bali, Indonesia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

It was happened when I sat to bought Train ticket in waiting room.

There was only few people inside, and near the door in front of office standing 2 officer who helps the passengers to get the information. Left side you will see the queue machine. but in fact people who don`t have the queue card can go in without that.

Soon when I realized my bag was stolen, then I report to the officer.

It me greatly disrupted was when he said that "it could be happened in everywhere"...

I also met with security officers around and more surprising when they say that " please just call the police" (huh.....!!!)

I can`t imagine that Dusseldorf is the place for International Exhibition for all the world wont care about this situation..

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

There IS a barrier at Düsseldorf airport, just like at any other airport. And anyway, how could you just "set down" your bag anywhere? Why would you do that? And why would anyone be standing so close to you without you or the staff at check-in noticing? There is only one person/party at a time at any counter. So I honestly can't imagine how this would have happened. Düsseldorf airport must have changed a lot since this summer, when I was there a couple of times.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theft at Dusseldorf Airport

Someone must have taken notice of this problem, but at the Stuttgart Airport when I last used it in October. Although I am not aware of any theft problems there, they had greatly restricted access to the Delta check-in counters, blocked off an easy exit by which a bag snatcher could flee, and forced people to enter and leave past all of the check-in counters where access was really restricted. I believe that this was an effort to prevent what happened to you at the Düsseldorf Airport, and it's nice to see people being proactive instead of ignoring problems.