We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a day trip

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,422 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a day trip

I think that it´s high time for me to have a closer look to Dusseldorf.

I have to admit that I have disregarded this city a long time - beside the Altstadt and Kö- in favour of Cologne.

Now I plan to do at least one day trip (or more:-))and I need some suggestions what will be easy reachable by public transport (or walking) and interesting or simply nice. EG I would like to find a nice place to walk along the Rhine and have a coffe there, but not solely.

Zabriskibound, you gave me some suggestions some years ago but I can´t find the thread anymore.

Thanks in advance

patara01

Edited: 01 July 2012, 17:06
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

Xanten would be my first choice. It has a new museum featuring Roman history in Germany adjacent to the excellent outdoor museum on the same subject. It also has a working windmill and a very pleasant town center.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,422 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

Well, thanks for your suggestion but I have asked for suggestions IN Dusseldorf. You know I want to do a day trip from my hometown to Dusseldorf:-)).

I know Xanthen and it is really worth a visit.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
637 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

Hi Patara. I am so glad you are planning a visit to Duesseldorf. Start for sure in the Altstadt, wander the streets, and if you have not had breakfast yet you head for Zicke. If you already have, you still have a latte machiato there, or lunch. Start your Rhine walk at Burgplatz in the area of the Schlossturm. Head south along the Rhine and stop for a coffee, and go all the way to Medienhafen. Note the famous Gehry buildings along the way, the tower, and NRW parliament, Then turn around, head back and walk over to the Koe. Take a cake at Heinemann's, what German coffee and cake is all about. Needless to say, Patara, you cannot leave Duesseldorf without an Alt at Uerige, outside of course, and my recommendation for dinner ranges from Destille to Zum Schiffchen. Take a walk through the Hofgarten. I could of course go on and on. Tell me more about what you are particularly interested in!

ZB

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,422 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

Hi Zabriskibound,

thanks for this city walk suggestion, it sounds really perfect for a first time:-)).I have never been at the Medienhafen but would be interested to have a look at it.

The last years I have only been at the Altstadt for Christmas Market or a special cinema, and it was mostly very cold , rainy or snowy...so a longer walk wasn´t very comfortable.

And I know the Aqua Zoo (with kids) but this isn´t so interesting for me now.

But I´m interested in museums and special churches (architecture) as well, maybe for another trip. It´s just 3/4 h from my home destination, so it´s a shame that I have missed it all the time.

Tschüss

patara01

Edited: 02 July 2012, 05:13
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

Walking along the Rhine? Well, take any subway to Luegplatz. Then, cross the street, and walk along the residential buildings, so that the Rhine is on your left. Soon, you'll reach the Youth Hostel and a pedestrian/cycle path next to the Rhine. Follow it until it's time to turn off for Belsenplatz (after about half an hour). I've forgotten the name of the street - look it up on a map. Then, you can have some coffee near Belsenplatz, there's a rather popular café there (on the right-hand side, just before you reach Belsenplatz).

After you've had your coffee, walk from Belsenplatz to Luegallee. The area you are in is called Oberkassel and is one of the best / most expensive places to live in Düsseldorf. (If you are tired, you can of course also take the subway.)

By the way, I'm saying subway, but it just looks like a tram. Don't be confused.

You could also go hiking in the Neanderthal, where the first humans lived. There's an extensive forest with hiking paths, and also a museum. You could for instance take the S28 to "Neanderthal", then see the museum and follow the hiking trail. It will take you until Hochdahl-Millrath, where you can take the S8 back to Düsseldorf. You can also hike to Gruiten, which is still a stop more, but I think the last bit of the hike is not that beautiful and it's not so easy to find the right way around Gruiten. Finding the stop Hochdahl-Millrath is easy. There's a parking place, walk past it, and then it's on your right and downhill. (Get a map, just to be on the safe side.)

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,422 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

After a closer look to the map, what do you think about another walk from the Altstadt along the Rhine to the north? A nice area? I have seen that there is the Museum Kunst Palast. Worth a visit? You know, after so many trips to Cologne I would like to "explore " this city as well, at least a little bit:-)).

Edited: 02 July 2012, 11:30
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,422 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

Ups, our post has crossed. Thanks for your suggestions, well appreciated:-).

I will have a look to the map and try to find these places, although I have already been in the Neandertal some years ago.

I intend to work out some trips for some days, with a map ASO, so that I can´t get lost.

I must admitt that Dusseldorf is a kind of blank spot for me, I mostly was there as student (about 100 years ago), then for carnival, trips with the kids but by car (!)and now for Christmas Market. So I have no real idea how all these areas are situated and must consult my map.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,422 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

I have just noticed that I could walk along the Rhine(allee) till Walkürenstraße, from there to Belsenstraße and then back...and it´s only about 40 min walking from the main station to Luegplatz, so no problem for me. I like to walk as much as possible, you will see much more:-))

Leicester
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

Hi there

The walk by the Rhine is a great idea, if you are going towards the tv tower "Fernsehturm" you may want to go up it for a coffee or even visit the restaurant that turns while you are eating.

Another great place is " schloss beneath" the train S6 towards koeln takes you there in min. From the Hbf (main station) you can take a look at the castle and walk trough the gardens down to the Rhine where you will find a cafe/restaurant. If you like any Moore info on duesseldorf and places nearby just ask.

Leicester
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for a day trip

Hi there

The walk by the Rhine is a great idea, if you are going towards the tv tower "Fernsehturm" you may want to go up it for a coffee or even visit the restaurant that turns while you are eating.

Another great place is " schloss beneath" the train S6 towards koeln takes you there in min. From the Hbf (main station) you can take a look at the castle and walk trough the gardens down to the Rhine where you will find a cafe/restaurant. If you like any Moore info on duesseldorf and places nearby just ask.