We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hour layover - is it worth a trip into town?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
6 hour layover - is it worth a trip into town?

I'll be arriving from Toronto at 6am for a noon connection to Venice. I'd be happy for the opportunity to just wander around the city for a couple of hours and snap some pictures and proverbally dip my toe in the Rhine. Is it feasable to get through customs - exiting and then entering again in this window of time? Also - any thoughts on what to do and where to go?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hour layover - is it worth a trip into town?

Absolutely. Six hours is a long time! Take a taxi to the Rhine (Good first stop is a restaurant called Zicke for breakfast). Or head for Burgplatz and pick a place right on the Rhine. The taxi ride costs about 25 Euro each way and takes maybe 15 minutes max. You could also take the S Bahn at the airport and transfer to a tram and get there in about 30 to 40 minutes for a price of less than 5 Euro.

The airport has nothing...go to town. Walk the Rhine starting at Burgplatz toward the tower. Then walk through Altstadt and down Koenigsallee.

If you have time try coffe at Heinemann........Martin-Luther-Platz 32, in the Vereinsbank Passage,

Enter via the Königsallee or Blumenstrasse

40212 Düsseldorf

Phone: 0211 132535

Mon – Fri: 9am – 7pm

Sat: 9am – 6.30pm

Sun: 10am – 6pm e in:

ZB

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hour layover - is it worth a trip into town?

Thanks very much for the inforrmation! Now I can't wait!!

3. Re: 6 hour layover - is it worth a trip into town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:17