We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any advice for Dusseldorf stay in Jun 2013

Malaysia
Level Contributor
92 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
any advice for Dusseldorf stay in Jun 2013

I am planning a business visit to one of my client in Dusseldorf, i was coming from APAC (Malaysia).

How was the weather in Dusseldorf ?

Any place for decent local food + APAC food , my daily allowance was only around 30 USD per day...(got to keep my budget tie).

I will be staying for 1 month time , what is the best way to travel around germany from this place dusseldorf ??

If i plan to get a local sim with my iphone5 , which package shall i choice , I need some data to travel around the places with map.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
638 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any advice for Dusseldorf stay in Jun 2013

Welcome to Duesseldorf. I think you will really like it, especially if you get to stay one month! First, I would recommend strongly that your hotel includes breakfast. Breakfast is usually quite expensive unless included in the price of your room. Secondly, there are literally hundreds of reasonably priced restaurants, from McDonalds (yes, unfortunately) to Colonel Sanders (yes unfortunately) to many wonderful local places. US $30 per day is very small, but can be done. The problem is the Euro is now 1.29 USD per Euro. This means you have essentially 20 Euro or so per day to spend on food and drink. Drink is important in Germany.

Public transportation is easy and the best way to travel around Germany. Trains go everywhere and are reasonable, especially if you buy tickets in advance.

ZB

K D
Dusseldorf, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: any advice for Dusseldorf stay in Jun 2013

First of all: Welcome to Duesseldorf!

Regarding weather: As you are coming from a tropical country: Even though June is the official start of summer, that doesnt mean anything in Germany. :-) Make sure to have a decent fleece jumper - not like for skiing but warm enough not to freeze at night or even day temperatures of less than 15 degree Celcius. Also a jacket to cover you from (cold !) rain is essential.

Regarding budget: 30 USD is not easy with currency rates, so like zabriskibound said make sure your hotel has breakfast included. You can get cheap eats in small restaurants/ take aways in the urban areas in Duesseldorf and everywhere in DE. Duesseldorf offers food from Greece, Middle East, Turkey, China, Thailand, Vietnam, India etc. To give you an idea: a Turkish doner kebap costs around 3,50 Euro and a Thai green curry around 7 Euro. There is a wide range of Japanese food (resulting from a large Japanese community), but this course is not the cheapest. Take a look yourself here:

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Germany/Lan…

Important to mention: Beer is really cheap in comparison to Malaysia :-)

In supermarkets you can get drinks and fresh fruit/vegs and chocolate for really little money.

What can get expensive though is public transport. If you are staying in Duesseldorf for a longer period, opt for weekly/monthly tickets that can be issued for the city of Duesseldorf and/or its surrounding cities (not for Cologne though ;-) (http://www.vrr.de/en/index.html)

Believe it or not: Long distance busses were newly introduces in Germany only this year.

( dw.de/green-light-for-long-distance-buses-in… )

There are several new bus companies that offer competitive prices and Duesseldorf is served by most of them :-)

I have not found a website that gives an overview of all these bus companies, but to get an idea check out these:

https://www.flixbus.de/

http://meinfernbus.de/.

For train visit: http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Regards from Duesseldorf, K

Malaysia
Level Contributor
92 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any advice for Dusseldorf stay in Jun 2013

Hi thank for both of your reply.

SInce it was be a business trip and i require to get a Sim card , what are the best values for money for VOice + data if any from vodafone ?

according to my collegue who was now there told us there , that wasn't much of food restaurant near by ..

Maybe someone can recommend some asia food especially for us ?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
92 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any advice for Dusseldorf stay in Jun 2013

any iphone app suitable to use in Dusseldorf?

My colleague just inform me that going from office a to office b will take around 60EURO..

is there any better transportantion around the cities ?

5. Re: any advice for Dusseldorf stay in Jun 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 07:17