We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations

Hello, Can anyone recommend a Dusseldorf hotel that would be suitable for the Christmas Markets in December within walking distance would be good. Prefer good standard modern accommodation but good value for money. Any help much appreciated :) Thanks

Germany
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations

depending on you budget Hotel Orangerie , Hotel Favor

with a short tram ride , but better value for money : Max, Burns Art & Culture Apartments , Apartment Bett am Rhein , Lessing, Wieland

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations

Would second Orangerie. I like Carat also.

ZB

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations

Near the main station and with easy access for transport, I've stayed at the Mercure City centre, Mitte and Stage 47, all are nice, Mitte is more budget. I've also stayed at the Marriott Fafen, but its a standard Marriott and overpriced and not as accessible with public transport.

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations

That was Marriott Hafen.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendations

Yes, but the Marriott is quite removed from the Christmas Markets! Although it is in an interesting location with good access to upper level restaurants and clubs.

ZB

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendations

I wouldn´t stay at the Marriott during wintertime.

I have been sitting on the terrace of the "Julian`s", the restaurant of this hotel, and well, it was pretty nice and the view over the harbour was special but a little boring. As it was a Tuesday at noon, there was nothing going on at the harbour, only a few tables and seating places (of the cafes/bars) outside and no people around . It was somewhat sterile, if you know what I mean. And I suppose that in winter it might be even more quiet.

I would choose any of the hotels close to the Altstadt or perhaps the nice looking hotel in Oberkassel, called "Hanseat"

http://www.hotel-hanseat.de/index-uk.html

I came along one day and liked it at once, just from outside. And the area is one of the nicest in Dusseldorf.

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendations

I wasn't recommending the Marriott. Unless you countooverpriced and not that accessible as a recommendation. :-)

For me the Stage 47 and Mercure city centre are very good standard 4 star and reasonably priced. Very handy for transport everywhere. But, as always near main train stations in Germany, there are a few interesting adult interest businesses, but my wife and my wife's female friends have never felt uncomfortable in the area.

leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendations

I too am coming for the xmas market

I just booked a 4 star hotel on hotwire

I got -NHDuesseldorf

could I walk it to the xmas market or would getting the transport be better?

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendations

If you will walk to the Altstadt it will take about 30 min. But you can take the U 75 to Heinrich Heine Allee, just 5 min.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendations

This hotel is quite a distance from the Christmas markets and indeed anything. It is about 1 km from the main train station. It is not quite as easy as Patara suggests to get to the markets. I would find somewhere closer to stay.

ZB