We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay first night in the area?

Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay first night in the area?

Hi,

got as a birthday present from my wife tickets to Dortmund-Hamburg game plus accomodation in Dortmund for 2 nights friday to sunday. We´re arriving in Dusseldorf on Thursday at 20.00 in the evening and I just wondered where would it be best to stay the first night? Is it best to stay in Dusseldorf and "do" that city in Friday or is there a better place around? Essen?

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay first night in the area?

I would stay in Dusseldorf for the first night and enjoy the atmosphere around the Altstadt or in any club in the Media harbour (Medienhafen) or so.

If you prefer Essen you should go to the "Rü" (Rüttenscheider Straße) where you will find a lot of restaurants, cafes and bars.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
653 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay first night in the area?

Definitely stay in Duesseldorf. Use one of the search engines like hrs.com to find low cost accomodations. Take a look at the hotel recommendations on Tripadvisor. Patara gives great advice on where to go. Duesseldorf Altstadt on a warm summer night is not to be missed. I hope you are a Dortmund fan!

ZB

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay first night in the area?

I didn´t realize that you are arriving already on a Thursday. So I would even more recommend to stay at Dusseldorf, I´m not sure if there will be such a vivid nightlife in Essen on this day/night.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 20:55
Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay first night in the area?

Thanks for your help,

I will start to look at hotels in Altstadt Dusseldorf. There where so many cities in the area when I looked at the map so I just took Essen as an example if there would have been any other city/area/gem that is worth visiting instead of Dusseldorf but now I´ll investigate Dusseldorf closer:)

and yes, I´m a Dortmund fan since maybe 1995 when I read in a Finnish Sporting paper a story about the yellow fans travelling to Glasgow Rangers for a Champions League game. Then I´ve always liked Werder Bremen so I´m familiar to hate HSV so it will be a perfect game.

5. Re: Where to stay first night in the area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 06:18