We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar-Thrifty in Dusseldorf airport

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar-Thrifty in Dusseldorf airport

I rented a car through Dollar in Dusseldorf Germany from July 31 to August 5th. At the time of pickup they charged (not put a hold on but charged) an additional 300 Euros as a deposit. When I returned the car and it was checked out I asked the person checking the car if everything was alright and was told “yes”. I was then directed to the Dollar counter in the terminal if I wanted a receipt. When I asked at the counter I was told that there was new damage (this was news to me) and that they would need to check the car out again before getting a receipt and that one would be emailed to me that day. I have yet to receive one and have called them 3 times each time told to call back again at some future date. I called again today and was told the car was out again and would get checked again on August 21st and that they would contact me if something was wrong. They are still sitting on 300 Euros of my money and my impression is that they couldn’t care less. I then called US customer service and was basically told the same thing. I am getting the brush off and receiving no support. I am at the point where I just want a resolution one way or the other. Due to the games being played here I have also disputed the charge through Visa.

I have since found out that the name "Dollar" is licensed by another company in Germany and Dollar in the States has no direct control over them. Had I known this in the first place I likely would have gone with another company. I travel frequently for business and pleasure and rent cars almost everywhere I go. This is my first time with Dollar and I did it to save a few bucks. I will never use them again either domestic or international. I don't care that this is another company in Germany. It is there name. I should have paid more to go with someone else.

I didn't do my research (slap my hand) and I should have. I thought this was the same company as Dollar in the States. I have since found many stories like mine here on Trip Advisor.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar-Thrifty in Dusseldorf airport

Sadly as you have found out this seems an all too common trick by Terstappen/Thrifty/Dollar mostly on tourists as they will be too far away to do much.

Disputing the charge on your card might work, you might consider calleling that card in case they come back for more!!

You might also write to Hertz,as of last year they puchased Thrifty/Dollar and although it operates seperatly at the moment it does not do their image much good

Good luck

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar-Thrifty in Dusseldorf airport

Unfortunately you live and you learn. Thanks for the advice in cancelling my card but as part of disputing a charge my bank automatically cancels the card and reissues a new one. I thought that was a good idea.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar-Thrifty in Dusseldorf airport

Hello, i rent a car with them also from the DUS airport for 24 hours, i booked the reservation on march 6 for march 12,small car, the price+ fees was 18.64 Eur,when i picked up the car it was VW Tiguan which its not small:) and i paid 61.68 euros,cos they added winter tires and full insurance(and online this was $22) and they hold 300 Eur deposit. When i give the car back they check it and they said it had a scratch on back and i surely didn't do it,but when i pick up the car was nobody there to check it together in case i constat any damage. A good thing was i forgot my laptop and after 10 min i went back to their office and ask for it and they give it back, and another thing, we took the car around 8,00 and took it back around 9,00, was almost 1 hr diff and they didn't charge us, after all was good,but my problem is i didn't receive back the deposit and they did it in front of me and give me the invoice, this should take 24hr but its been more, i wait another 24hr and then e-mail them, and another thing..they said they only block deposit, but actually they took it from my account and now they have to give back..So before u rent a car with them be sure u pay same price as u see on site, and be sure when u pick the car its a person from them with u so u can check it also. Good luck!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar-Thrifty in Dusseldorf airport

First, definitely dispute the charge with your credit card company. Secondly, it is not only Dollar that does this. Take pictures before you take possession of the car. Take pics when. You return it. Get the person who rents you the car to mark on the invoice all damage present. Make sure you are somewhere with good light. This happens many places and is a pain in the neck and a scam. If you need to threaten to call the police...they must give you a receipt by law.

ZB

5. Re: Dollar-Thrifty in Dusseldorf airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 06:17