We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

Which Dusseldorf hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hutchinson, Kansas
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if someone could tell me how difficult it is to get to the Dusseldorf airport? My husband and I will be driving from Munich or Fussen (plans aren't settled yet) to Dusseldorf. We will be spending one night in Dusseldorf in order to visit a friend, then flying out from the airport to Paris. How long does it take to get there from city center (our accomodations are still being decided)? How far in advance should we be at the airport (US citizens flying to another European country)? We still have a hire car we will be turning in at the airport as well.

Any and all help is appreciated! And if anyone knows a good place to stay, guest house or B&B, that we can stay at for under $100 a night, I welcome any and all suggestions and referels!

Thank you!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,560 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

Düsseldorf (DUS) or "Düsseldorf-"Weeze?

If it is the main airport it is a quick and easy ride either on the S-Bahn which takes you right to the terminal, or by train to the airport station and the by SkyTrain over to the terminal. Weeze, however, would be a different story.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,982 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

I don´t know how long it will take to return the car.

Normally you should be at the airport between 1 1/2 - 2 h in advance but with the car, I don´t know. Going there by public transport might be easier and faster but ...

Do you want to stay close to the Altstadt or closer to the airport? I give you a list with some hotels but please keep in mind, that at some dates the prices might soar up a lot, depending on special trade fairs.

www.kleine-hotels-in-duesseldorf.de/…

ibis.com/de/…index.shtml

hotel.de/de/…

Hutchinson, Kansas
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

BlandineForberg, we will be flying out from DUS, and have a hire car to return, so do not plan on taking public transportation. Unless we go turn in the car when we get into Dusseldorf, the day before we fly out. I'm not sure what the best way would be.

patara01, not sure on which location we will look at staying closer to. I have read how trade fairs can greatly affect the price of hotels. We will be traveling in April, staying over on either a Wednesday or Thursday night.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,560 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

>Unless we go turn in the car when we get into Dusseldorf, the day before we fly out.

... which would make sense because you save one day of rental, which will cost more than public transport tickets. In the city you won't need/want the car anyway.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

And in the time you need to get out to the airport etc. You would be almost in Paris if you take a train. Flying from Düsseldorf to Paris does not really make sense.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

Returning a rental car at DUS is simple and does not take very long at all. You then walk across the road and are at the airport. No problems.

Take a look at hotels.com or hrs.com for. Accommodations and pick a good rate and we can then help you. I do not at all recommend Guest Houses in Duesseldorf. Why stay there when you can stay downtown and have a nice breakfast included?

Price wise, 100 dollars, or 75 Euro is too little a budget in Dusseldrf. As others have said, save the rental car cost, drop the car on the way in, save the parking charge and rental charge for one day and take the s 11 into the city. Stay close to the main station. Look under tripadvisor recommendations for hotels at the top of the page.

ZB

Edited: 07 February 2014, 19:59
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

Sorry, but you are flying within the EU, and your U S passport will be no impediment at all. Allow 1 .5 hours or so to check in and go through security. Keep your eye and hands on hand luggage at all times.

ZB

Hutchinson, Kansas
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

altamiro, the rates I have found for taking the train to Paris are much higher than flying to Paris from Dusseldorf. That's why we were going to fly.

T K
Cologne, Germany
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

To drive from Munich to Düsseldorf can take between 5:30 and 8 hours. It depends on daytime, traffic and luck. If there is an accident, which happens quite often on this route, you can easily spent a few hours in traffic jam. Best day to travel this route is Saturday (if you have a choice).

In comparison the way from Düsseldorf city centre to airport is very easy as long as there is no fair at "Messe". The fairground is close to the airport and causes serious traffic jam which can lead to stress. As the others here say, it´s easier to return the car on the day before you fly to Paris. And yes, the train to Paris would be easier but more expensive.

Train to Düsseldorf (best Station is "Düsseldorf Terminal", not "Düsseldorf Flughafenbahnhof") from Main station takes 25 minutes.

Hutchinson, Kansas
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Dusseldorf Airport

T K: We plan on making the drive on either a Tuesday or Wednesday, setting out around noon. And we might be driving from Fussen or Munich, the plan are not completely set yet. Does the drive from Fussen to Dusseldorf face the same delays, such as a car accident causing 2 additional hours to the drive? Either way, we would be setting out for the drive about noon, to avoid morning traffic, but I realize this means we will hit end of the day traffic.