We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see things to do or see?

Montesano...
1 post
Save Topic
Must see things to do or see?

Traveling to Germany during late November. Dusseldorf will be my base staying place.

I like wwii history, athletic events,

I'm a runner, hiker.

What are some must see or do things?

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see things to do or see?

If you like hiking, and if the weather is nice, check out the Neanderthal, just outside Düsseldorf. You take the S28 direction Mettmann Stadtwald and get off at "Neanderthal", or the S8 direction Wuppertal and get off at "Hagen" I think, anyway, it's the second stop after Gerresheim.

They also have a prehistoric museum there. Other than that, of course you don't see much any more that indicates this is the place where some of the first humans lived. But still - it would be a pity to be so close to that place and miss it.

WWII, well, there's not that much in Düsseldorf, but check out this place in Cologne: museenkoeln.de/ns-dokumentationszentrum/…

Mentioned in this post
Wuppertal
Wuppertal
Cologne
Cologne
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
654 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see things to do or see?

Walk the Graf Berger Wald. Excellent hiking! Run along the Rhine, both sides. This has exceptional scenery.

ZB

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see things to do or see?

I agree that Duesseldorf is not great for cultural stuff. It developed late. The MediaHafen would be an interesting place to run. Some great buildings with nice views of the Rhine. Also the extension of the Koenigsallee is impressive. The two art museums are pretty good, but on the 2nd tier as museums in Germany go. I bet there are paths along the Rhine going north that are nice. But don't know.

Mentioned in this post
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
Germany
Germany
Europe
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see things to do or see?

For the 'Must See's' I definitely recommend to take a look at this site:

http://wikitravel.org/en/D%C3%BCsseldorf

And yes, don't expect London, Paris or Berlin for sightseeing - compared to this, Duesseldorf is rather small - but very beautiful and enjoyable. You will love the sights like the Media Harbor, Koenigsallee, Altstadt, Castle of Benrath, etc.

But also the remote places like for example the Neandertal will surely cover your needs and interests.

Enjoy the trip to Duesseldorf!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
5. Re: Must see things to do or see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:17