We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RE train: Duesseldorf airport to Bonn

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
564 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
RE train: Duesseldorf airport to Bonn

We will be traveling by train from DUS to Bonn-Bad Godesberg around noon on Wednesday September 10, after a long transatlantic flight. As I understand it, we need to connect to the airport train station via the skytrain, which will be covered by purchasing an NRW fare ticket for our trip to Bonn. Is there a place in the airport, machines or ticket counter, where we can purchase our NRW ticket prior to boarding the skytrain? The small fare charged for the skytrain is inconsequential, but the inconvenience and confusion of purchasing skytrain tickets at the airport, then train tickets at the station for very jet-lagged travelers from the west coast of the US is something I would like to avoid!

Alternatively, it looks like we can purchase our NRW fare tickets in advance on the DB Bahn website and print them out prior to leaving the US. As I understand it this ticket would be valid for any regional train from DUS to Bonn. Can anyone confirm that this ticket won't be tied to the time I chose when purchasing ticket? Will it need to be validated?

I'd really appreciate any help!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: RE train: Duesseldorf airport to Bonn

> Is there a place in the airport, machines or ticket counter, where we can purchase our NRW ticket prior to boarding the skytrain?

There are ticket machines at the SkyTrain stations where you can buy NRW fare tickets to Bonn.

You can buy such a ticket also online. It is a fully flexible ticket for the regional trains on this day and route. No need to validate it.

Covered is the SkyTrain (counts tariff wise as a Düsseldorf tram), the hourly direct RE trains to Bonn and the trams and city buses in Bonn.

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
564 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RE train: Duesseldorf airport to Bonn

Thank you, abalada, for answering my questions so quickly and clearly.

3. Re: RE train: Duesseldorf airport to Bonn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 07:16