We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oberhausen for 8 days-drive to Holland/Belgium to sight see?

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Oberhausen for 8 days-drive to Holland/Belgium to sight see?

Flying into Dusseldorf 4/7 Staying in Oberhausen where my aunt & uncle live. We have a rental car and were planning on driving to Keukenhoff in The Netherlands on Monday 4/9 - just a day trip. Looks like it is a 2.5 hour drive according to google maps. Wednesday 4/11 we were going to drive to Brussels, see a few cathedrals & the Atomium - again a day trip. Then on Friday 4/13, we were going to spend the day in Koln (Cathedral and a 1 hr river cruise of the Rhine). Do you think this is too much to squeeze in? I emailed my aunt & uncle our itinerary & they called me this morning to say they felt it was too much as there are so many autos in Europe. But, they are older so they may feel differently, but then again, they have lived there all their lives so they may know best. I have been over 3 times but have never had a car or been able to see sights other than the Koln cathedral when I was a child. My husband and I are 52 & 44 and my sister and her husband are 60 & 62. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Level Contributor
2,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oberhausen for 8 days-drive to Holland/Belgium to sight see?

Don't trust google maps in Ruhr area . You easyly might get in a traffic jam in the Ruhr area . To Keukenhof take the car .Take trains to Cologne and Bruxelles if you only want to get there for day trips . You are much quicker: Cologne 1 hour , Bruxelles 3 hours .To Cologne it is even less expensive (take local trains and use NRW-tickets) and you have the option for a stop in Düsseldorf

Edited: 14 March 2012, 16:54
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,675 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oberhausen for 8 days-drive to Holland/Belgium to sight see?

I´m often going to Cologne, and always by train. Just take a regional train, it´s cheaper than an ICE. Driving to and in Cologne with a car is the hell...

IMO your itinerary isn´t too crammed, you have always some free days between the longer day trips.

Not sure if the idea of a day trip to Keukenhof on Monday 4/9 is reasonable, it´s Easter Monday at Germany and the streets and the Keukenhof might be crammed-full.

Level Contributor
543 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oberhausen for 8 days-drive to Holland/Belgium to sight see?

You could also do a round trip Keukenhof Brussels and back with an overnight stay somewhere (The Hague?). That would save you one leg but you would need to park the car in Brussels. This would also help you avoid the Easter Monday crowds and traffic.

Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,415 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oberhausen for 8 days-drive to Holland/Belgium to sight see?

> Keukenhoff

There is the Floriade (World Horticultural Expo) this year in Venlo. The more important garden event and closer to Oberhausen.

Even like Oberhausen inside the VRR local public transport association. Mini group (2-5 persons) day ticket is EUR 36,50. Travel time by train is from 67 minutes.

But as the Keukenhoff I would avoid the Floriade on Easter Monday. These are prime destinations also for locals on such holidays.

The Rhine-Ruhr area is the largest conurbation in Germany. And was for nearly 100 years also the largest in Europe.

And this part of Europe - Rhine-Ruhr , Brussels and the Netherlands - is the most dense populated area in Europe. Thus indeed many autos there.

From Oberhausen you can also do easily a day trip to the Middle Rhine Valley (south of Cologne). While a car is no must either, it will be for this trip more rewarding. And if you plan a boat tour do it there instead of at Cologne.

Edited: 15 March 2012, 00:35
5. Re: Oberhausen for 8 days-drive to Holland/Belgium to sight see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2016, 09:15
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor