We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance reservations needed mid September?

home
Level Contributor
93 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Advance reservations needed mid September?

My wife and I plan on spending about a week along the Rhine in mid September, mostly in smaller towns and villages. Do we need to make advance reservations at that time? Should we try and find out if and when there are festivals, holidays etc when it would be prudent to prebook?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advance reservations needed mid September?

Hi,

I made a similar trip 17-27 September 2010, traveling solo, starting in Frankfurt and then working my way down the Rhine to Koblenz, and then up the Mosel to Trier. I was able to find hotels with rooms available without reservations for my two weekend nights in the area. One was just south of Koblenz and the other in Bernkastel-Kues.

I have to admit that I was a little nervous, because many of the smaller towns along the route had fall harvest or wine festivals going on, and it seemed to me that the majority of people who were visiting those towns were Germans. Perhaps they looked for a weekend retreat from Frankfurt or Cologne.

So while I did find lodging as a solo traveler, I think I got lucky. I would recommend reservations, especially on weekends.

The rest of the trip was also a "make it up as I go" trip into Belgium, the Netherlands, and back into northern Germany, with no reservations (aside from one night in Brussels) and I did just fine.

Enjoy your trip. It's a great time of year to be there.

Zed

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advance reservations needed mid September?

There are festivals every weekend - typically Friday through Sunday, longer in some cases. Small villages mean limited accommodations choices. I'd reserve now to get what you want instead of what's left over. Find a village central to your area of interest, book an apartment or a room for a week, and do daytrips from there - trains go pretty much everywhere within the Rhine, Mosel, Nahe and Lahn River valleys, and daypasses for unlimited rides make such trips a bargain. The 3-day VRM mini-group ticket for 2-5 people is just 42.40€.

vrminfo.de/en/…

Driving is an option as well, of course. But the rail transport in the area is frequent and efficient.

home
Level Contributor
93 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advance reservations needed mid September?

Thanks for the quick responses. I think we'll book rooms at least for the weekend[s]. I think we'll stay in St Goar and or Assmanshausen

4. Re: Advance reservations needed mid September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Rhineland-Palatinate