We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
269 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

We are 2 adults, 2 seniors and 1 child aged 9. We will be driving from Nijmegen NL for a day trip with the main object to take a half Rhine cruise downstream and rail in the opposite direction (rail either before or after cruise). We want to cruise the most picturesque section with ease of parking and transfer between modes of transport and nice towns at either end of the cruise.

I have read a few other posts, but none offer advice for quite the combination I am looking for (any time between August 17th and 26th 2013.

Thanks

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

Most people define the most scenic section as from Bingen downstream to Boppard, or for those in a hurry, to St. Goar. I'll suggest that you look at the Rick Steves travel newsboard, because his "Germany" book brings a lot of questions about this route. The search box is in the upper right.

ricksteves.com/graffiti/…index.html

If you don't want to buy his book, you could look at it in the library-the map of the Rhine doesn't change!

Note that you will drive by two very attractive cities, Cologne and Koblenz, although their stretch of the Rhine is not particularly scenic, although Deutsches Eck is pretty. They are both (in my opinion) much more interesting than Nijmegen. The KD Rhine boats are so slow that you are correct to plan boating only the best part of the river, and downstream. Bingen and Boppard are small towns compared to Koblenz and Cologne, but they are pretty enough for a walk in each.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
269 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

Thanks for this - I used to livein Nijmegen so we are visiting friends and touring from there as a base. We already know Koln and I visited Boppard 30 years ago..... with school.

I'm still looking for details of the best two points to start and end the cruise and which has the best P&R facilities and whether to us train or boat first.

Thanks

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

I would probably do Koblenz-Bingen and then the train back as you have to go North anyway. If you start in the South then you have to cover the distance 4 times instead of two. There is a boat at 11am which gets to Bingen at 5 pm and covers the prettiest parts of the river. A night down there would be better still!

There are frequent trains back from Bingen which take a little over an hour. For the station you in Bingen you will get the option of KD this is near where the boat docks

http://www.k-d.com/en/home/ and http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
269 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

Thanks bongoblog

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

You will be spending about 3 hours or so in the car each way already. I don't advise the 6-hour boat trip Bongoblog suggests on top of that; there'll be no time for anything else. Drive the A61 as you approach the Middle Rhine and park in Bingen. Take the 11:30 am cruise NORTH (much faster than north to south) and end it in St. Goar (1.5 hours) or Boppard (2.5 hours) and you will have seen the best part of the river. The train ride back to Bingen takes a mere 22 minutes from St. Goar or 35 minutes from Boppard.

If you end your cruise in St. Goar (the most scenic setting along the river, IMO, with 3 castles visible from town) you can take a self-guided tour at your own pace of Rheinfels Castle, if you wish. There would also be ample opportunities to have lunch in town since you get there around 1 pm.

www.st-goar.de/17-1-rheinfels-castle.html

The cruise is pleasant but it is not the whole experience - only floating past places means you can't really check them out. You may want to drive along the river on your return trip to Nijmegen for a short distance - Bacharach and Oberwesel are two wonderful old-world villages very near Bingen that you will otherwise only float past.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
269 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

Thanks Russ - this is exactly the sort of suggestion I was looking for - taking into consideration my driving time etc.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
269 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

Now considering parking in Boppard and taking the train (11:08 or 11:19) South to Bingen and then the boat back at 14:30 to reduce driving and repeating the route.

Any comments?

Thanks

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

"Now considering parking in Boppard and taking the train (11:08 or 11:19) South to Bingen"

I imagine that will work too. But if you want your first impression of the Middle Rhine by boat, remember that the train from Boppard to Bingen follows the river bank and may spoil the cruise for you to some extent if you take it first. You can drive to Bingen instead, routing yourselves along the A61 to avoid the river on the approach to Bingen.

If you do decide to take the train from Boppard to Bingen, I would not head directly to less interesting Bingen and would instead spend some time in Boppard, St.Goar, Oberwesel, or Bacharach on the way south. Hop off the train for an hour or two wherever you choose, then proceed to Bingen.

That said, given your very tight schedule, visits to one or more of these towns by train is trickier than by car; trains run on the hour, but the car would give you greater flexibility to come and go when you please. For this reason, driving directly to Bingen to start your cruise, then returning by train to Bingen and your car, and driving to these villages at the end, is an easier way for you to visit them, IMO.

Train from Boppard to Bingen: use the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket, a daypass good for up to 5 adults; it's 34€ for 4 adults:

vrminfo.de/en/…

IF you purchase the R-P ticket at the Bingen (or Boppard) train station prior to your cruise and present it at the KD cruise ticket kiosk, you are eligible for a 20% discount on your cruise fare. You may qualify for other kinds of discounts... information is here:

k-d.com/en/…

Edited: 12 August 2013, 16:15
Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
269 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

Thanks - planning to spend a bit of time in Boppard in the morning before taking the train and/or hop off the train en route

10. Re: Drive from Nijmegen NL - P&R - Rhine cruise half day - rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 07:19