We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice city close to frankfurt to start romantic road

rio de janeiro
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
nice city close to frankfurt to start romantic road

Hi , me and my husband are traveling from Brazil. It will be our first time in Germany. We will flight to Frankfurt, arriving there at noon. We are renting a car. Since it is a long flight we thought of going to lunch in Frankfurt and then driving to Bacharach and spending the night. I read at Rich Steves that is a nice town for exploring the Rhine Valley. The problem is that next day we won't have much time. We will be driving the Romantic Road until the end (Fussen-the castle).

Then we have the following questions:

-Should I drop the idea of sleeping in Bacharach?

-Should we sleep in Wurzburg where the romantic road starts?

-Which city is more pleasant to spend the afternoon in that area, and what makes more sense?

- We will be in Fussen on October 5th. We were planning on sleeping in Munich, but the city is very crowded (Oktoberfest). Any suggestion of a romantic hotel in the area?

I appreciate any help, since i've been lost looking at maps without being able to make hotels reservations. Need to finish planning first.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice city close to frankfurt to start romantic road

If you have so little time, you should not go to Bacharach, even though it is very pleasant. Either drive to Würzburg or stay at one of the smaller towns in the Main valley, such as Miltenberg or Wertheim.

The "Romantic Road" is not always a scenic drive as such. The interesting thing about it are the many small towns it connects, like Rothenburg, Dinkelsbühl, Nördlingen and many others. One day is not nearly enough to see them all.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: nice city close to frankfurt to start romantic road

Go from Frankfurt directly to Würzburg, spend your afternoon and the night there, it is a very nice city.

Next day follow the Romantic Road, passing only at the cities already mentioned above, but try to stay at least one night somewhere in the middle (Dinkelsbühl or Nördlingen), or else you will loose most of the beauty of the cities.

Munich will really be crowded, you could try a hotel at the neighboring cities; I would suggest Freising, Landshut, or even Starnberg See, more to the south.

And if you need some info in Portuguese, just take a look in my blog ;-)

Boa viagem!

Marcelo

www.alemanhaporquenao.com

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: nice city close to frankfurt to start romantic road

A romantic Hotel at the Starnberger Lake which is about a 30 min train ride from Munich is in Feldafing:

Kaiserin Elisabeth

www.kaiserin-elisabeth.de/Default.asp…

I like it because it has the old charm and is overlooking lake and mountains.

rio de janeiro
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice city close to frankfurt to start romantic road

Oi Marcelo, adorei os eu Blog. Fantástico!

Amazing blog Marcelo!! A lot of information.

Estou refazendo o roteiro...

5. Re: nice city close to frankfurt to start romantic road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 07:18