We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

Hi,

I am planning a trip with my wife. It will be our first time in Germany and I'm a bit confused as to what train ticket or tickets I should buy for our trip. Here's a quick overview of our plans

Sunday

Arrive at Frankfurt Aiport. Take train to Mainz and sightsee in Mainz

Monday

Start in Mainz and do a day trip to the rhine river valley. ie boat trip, see marksburg castle, see st goar. Go back to Mainz

Tuesday

From Mainz take train to Dusseldorf. Sightsee in Dusseldorf.

Wednesday

From Dusseldorf do a daytrip and take the train to go to Brussels. Sightsee in Brussels. Go back to Dusseldorf.

Thursday

Take a train from dusseldorf to Amsterdam.

Friday, Saturday

Sight see Amsterdam during Kings Day festivities

Sunday

Take train to Amsterday airport and go home.

The first thing I would like your expert opinion on, is whether or not this seems like a reasonable plan. Secondly, based on this, what sort of a train ticket should I get? Since I'll be going to different countries would it be best for me to get a Europass or are there cheaper alternatives to that. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vinson

CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

Hiya! Welcome to the Germany forum. Have a look at the Deutsche Bahn website für traveling by train, both intercity in Deutschland und traveling to Brussels und Amsterdam. Note, if the website is not in English from this link, you may change the language from Deutsch. bahn.de/m/…handy-ticket.shtml

Public transportation is very accessible und it is generally much less expensive to simply use the local trains und buy tickets from the Deutsche Bahn website or at the train stations, compared to the Europass.

Also, the buses und trains within the cities you are visiting are simple to use (in my opinion, at least!).

My recommendation is that once you are in Brussels, stay overnight, und dann travel to Amsterdam from Brussels. Ja, Brussels und Düsseldorf are close to each other, however they are not close enough to go back to Düsseldorf on the same day, just to essentially sleep the night.

Others will give you more advice soon. Take care und have a very wonderful hols. Cheers!

CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

Hiya again! Please note that I am posting from my mobile (Handy, in Deutschland). Bahn.de is essentially the site on a computer, if the link in my previous post does not work. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Edited: 06 March 2014, 06:35
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

For your day 2:

There is a cruise starting in Mainz to Boppard, but I would recommend taking the train to Bingen(Stadt) and starting the cruise there.

Boat schedules:

https:/…

www.bingen-ruedesheimer.de/timetable.php

If you want to see both Burg Rheinfels at St. Goar and the Marksburg at Braubach, there are several options:

If you catch the KD cruise at 9:30, cruise all the way to Braubach, visit the castle, take the train to St. Goarshausen, ferry to St. Goar, visit Burg Rheinfels and take the train back to Mainz. You could stop in Oberwesel and/or Bacharach on your way back.

Or cruise to St. Goar, visit the castle, take the ferry to St. Goarshausen, train to Braubach and visit Marksburg. Then take the train back to Mainz either via Koblenz, Boppard, Oberwesel or via Rüdesheim and Wiesbaden.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 09:53
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

FRA - Mainz: This journey is covered by the local transport association fare and there is no advantage to buying your ticket before you arrive in Frankfurt. However, you may be interested in buying the Hessen-Ticket which will cover you and your wife for unlimited travel in the entire state of Hessen on local trains, S-Bahn and local public transport, as well in Mainz - which is actually in another state.

Mainz - Dusseldorf: Book your train in advance on www.bahn.com and print the ticket at home. Note that you MUST take the train you have booked.

Dusseldorf - Amsterdam: As above.

Amsterdam - AMS airport: Buy your ticket on the day from an NS ticket machine.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

Darrenmcc,

I like your suggestion about the Hessen ticket. In addition to Mainz do you know if this would cover my transportation while I am visiting the Rhine. I read in other posts about certain train tickets allowing you to ride the boats and trains on the Rhine as well. Is this one of those tickets?

Anjalia,

I would spend the night in Brussels and go straight to Amsterdam from there, but it looks like there isn't any direct route train route that goes from Brussels to Amsterdam. It actually looks like the route goes back through Dusseldorf. At least that is what google maps shows me. Am I missing something?

Detbo,

Thanks for your ideas for how to spend my day 2. Let me take a look at those options and figure something out.

Thank you all,

Vinson

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

the train station is located at Brussels Midi. there's ticket booth with agents where you can purchase train fare to Amsterdam (at least two hours ride). The train takes you to the Centraal Station in Amsterdam where everybody gets off. Stops are announced. Take the early morning train and you will have time to go back to Brussels, make sure check the return schedule. You won't miss the Amsterdam stop everybody gets off at this stop. hope this helps.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

"I like your suggestion about the Hessen ticket. In addition to Mainz do you know if this would cover my transportation while I am visiting the Rhine. I read in other posts about certain train tickets allowing you to ride the boats and trains on the Rhine as well. Is this one of those tickets?"

The Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (daypass) covers you from Mainz north along the Rhine to Bonn, south to Karlsruhe, and elsewhere within Rheinland-Pfalz and Saarland (federal states.) You can see the aea of coveage here:

vrminfo.de/fileadmin/data/pdf/2012/RLP-Ticke…

Ticket info: vrminfo.de/en/…

The R-P ticket will NOT get you onto the cruise boats. It WILL give you a 20% discount if you choose the KD line boats.

The only river vessel covered by the R-P ticket is the ferry - the one between St. Goar and St. Goarshausen for sure, possibly some others - but the savings is marginal since ferry crossings cost so little.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Based on all that I have learned and from doing more research here's my revised itinerary for my Rhine day.

Train: Depart Mainz 8:32 Platform 11 - Arrive Bingen 9:02 Platform 103

KD Cruise: Depart Bingen 9.30 – Arrive St. Goarshausen 11.05

Train: Depart St. Goarshausen 11.31 – Arrive Braubach 11.52

Castle Marksburg: take Marksburg Express. From Old town to Castle. 5 per person roundtrip.

Train: Depart Braubach 3.06 Platform 2 – Arrive St. Goarshausen 3.26 Platform 1

Ferry: Depart St. Goarshausen KD ??? – Arrive St. Goar KD ???

Castle Rheinfels: take Castle Express from Marktplatz to Rheinfels Castle. Every 25mninutes. 4 per person roundtrip.

Train: Depart St. Goar 6.20 – Arrive 6.30 Bacharach

Eat Dinner at Bacharach @ Altes Haus

Train: Depart Bacharach 9.30 – Arrive 10.27 Mainz Hbf

There are a couple more questions I have.

1. There is 1 train segment before 9am and 4 train segments in my trip that occur after 9am. The Rhine-Pfalz ticket is valid only after 9am. It will just be me and my wife traveling. I don't know what the cost of the regular train tickets are but I assume the Rhine-Pfalz will be the most economical way to go even if I have to buy 2 regular train tickets for the 1 segment before 9am. Does this sound right?

2. "The Rheinland-Pfalz ticket is available as a new 1-2-3-4-or 5-ticket for up to five people. It costs just 23 € per ticket plus 4 € per passenger." That is the description of the R-P ticket. Does that mean I need to pay 23+4 or do I need to pay 23+4+4 for me and my wife?

3. How often do the ferries run between St Goar and St Goarshausen? Are they on a schedule as well?

I think I have almost got this part of my trip all planned and ready to go. Thanks for all your help.

Vinson

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

1. The one-way fare for the selected train from Mainz to Bingen is 6,60 EUR per person. Didn't do the math but I'd guess that the R-P ticket for the rest of the day is still most economical.

2. 23+4. First person pays full prize.

3. The ferry runs every 15, 20 or 30 minutes depending on the time of day (more frequent in the busy afternoon hours, less frequent late in the evening). Here's the schedule: http://www.faehre-loreley.de/fs_fahrplan.html The right column shows the departure times from St Goar.

10. Re: Need help with Train tickets for itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:15