We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle Oberwesel to Sankt Goar

toledo, oh
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bicycle Oberwesel to Sankt Goar

Is it possible to rent a bicycle in Oberwesel and ride on a bike path to Sankt Goar? We'd like to tour the castle in St Goar and cross the river and climb Loreley. Any input would be appreciated.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycle Oberwesel to Sankt Goar

I biked that stretch long ago and had to ride with traffic. But this online source says that segment is now served by a wide 7 km bike path:

www.mittelrhein-wein.com/aktiv/radfahren.html

I would suggest climbing the cliffside in St. Goar behind the train station (steps, then steep path.) Then walk south along the mostly cliffside trail to the "Loreleyblick" lookout - where you can view the Loreley from the opposite cliffside. It's more impressive this way. If you will be at Rheinfels Castle anyway, there is a shortcut path along the hillside and through some woods that meets up with the path behind the station.

It's a 5 min ride from Oberwesel to St. Goar, should you wish to use the train.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 01:18
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycle Oberwesel to Sankt Goar

Yes, there is a bike shop in Oberwesel that also rents bikes, Fahrradgeschäft Höhn. I'm sure your hotel could arrange the rental for you.

There's a wide bike path separate from the auto traffic that runs right along the river.

I agree with Russ that viewing the Loreley from the other side of the river is the more impressive experience - and it can easily be combined with a visit of Rheinfels Castle. There is also a nice hiking trail that goes all the way to Oberwesel with more beautiful river views, maybe an alternative to the bike ride.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicycle Oberwesel to Sankt Goar

There is a bicycle lane all along Fedreal road B9. Oberwesel to St. Goar is the narrowest section of the Rhine gorge, so the bicycle lane is close to the road. In other parts of the valley it may be a few meters from the road but still quite close to traffic.

IMO, a nice bicycle ride would be from Oberwesel to Bingen. From Bacharach to Bingen you can ride along the river, away from the road.

4. Re: Bicycle Oberwesel to Sankt Goar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:17