We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Speed Rail

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
High Speed Rail

Hello -

My brother and I are trip planning (trying to decide locations) for this summer and are considering staying with friends in K-town. I was just there two years ago but would like to see/do some things again.

I have tried, but do not understand the German rail website and would like to take a train from Germany to Paris or Germany to Munich. Is there a high speed train that goes from Germany to Munich? If so how long is the trip? Price?

I saw it is approximately 2.5 hours to Paris for approx. 70 Euros which is a great deal but I've been to Paris and have only spent an evening in Munich would very much like to go back to Munich but since time is limited and so is cash Paris may be the more viable option. Thanks for any input!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,380 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: High Speed Rail

Dedicated high speed tracks exist between Metz and Paris on the route from Kaiserslautern to Paris and between Mannheim and Stuttgart on the route from Kaiserslautern to Munich. Also an option to travel via Nuremberg to Munich which would include the highspeed line Nuremberg - Munich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGV_Est

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannheim%E2%80%93Stuttga…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg%E2%80%93Munich…

You can get Kaiserslautern to Paris from EUR 58 for 2 persons, Kaiserslautern to anywhere in Germany from EUR 49 for 2 persons if you book well in advance. At earliest this is possible 92 days in advance.

DB timetable

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg%E2%80%93Munich…

To: Paris Est

To: Munich

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Speed Rail

Great information. Where do you suggest booking the tickets through? The way I read this is that I should book a ticket to nurenburg on regular rail and then use high speed rail from nurenburg to Munich?

Also can you consider least expensive times of year to travel in Germany? I'm considering April May August or September.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Speed Rail

I assume that abalada meant to post this link for DB timetable:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

You can book your tickets at above link. Just book a ticket from Kaiserslautern to Munich (which BTW is in Germany).

Train fares are same year round in Germany.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,380 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: High Speed Rail

> Where do you suggest booking the tickets through?

See the link Hans_DEN gave.

With my link copy and paste was going wrong.

> The way I read this is that I should book a ticket to nurenburg on regular rail and then use high speed rail from nurenburg to Munich?

Not really. There are high speed trains going through Kaiserslautern. But not at high speeds. To Munich you'll also have to change trains at least once. I just gave you the route parts where the high speed trains are also traveling fast (for the real experience) Apart from the mentioned high speed tracks the high speed trains travel also on older railways with much slower speeds.

Standard fare prices are always the same. The only difference is how fast the cheaper discounted specials sell out. This is however more a question of the time of the week than the time of the year. Peak travel times are e.g. Friday and Sunday afternoon and evening. And Monday morning. I.e. where you have the daily commuters, weekly commuters and weekend trippers using the trains.

The only way to save with the high speed links is to buy well in advance. With standard fares they are pretty expensive on the fast routes as the time savings are prized in. For other trips the best deals are mini group day/24 hour tickets covering only regional trains. E.g. the VRN offers for Kaiserslautern to Mannheim/Heidelberg (and even as far as Würzburg).

vrn.de/imperia/md/content/service/informatio…

Or for travels beyond the VRN network, but still inside the state Rhineland-Palatinate (where Kaiserslautern is in) the Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket

vrminfo.de/vrm/…rp-ticket.html

www.der-takt.de/tarif/rheinland-pfalz-ticket/

http://www.romantic-germany.info/

These ticket offers for regional trains are always available and can be bought on spot.

Edited: 08 November 2010, 00:43
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Speed Rail

Thanks Abalada. Like I said you've been a wealth of info. I am looking for some assistance in planning a return trip to Germany regarding my itinerary.

Last time I was there we visited Strausburg, trier, Bern Kastle Keuss, heidleburg, nurenburg, Munich (only for a few hours), dachau, k-town, and Switzerland into Switzerland. We saw ludwigs castles too. Would like to do some of this again for my brother to experience but would also like to explore some new things. Trier and heidleburg will be on the agenda but I'm limited on time (7 days) for other stops. What are high points to visit in Munich?

Would you suggest other towns instead? Thanks again for your help!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,557 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Speed Rail

The problem with the high-speed railway line between Mannheim and Stuttgart is that it largely runs in ditches or tunnels, and many places where you might have a good view, the views may be blocked by sound barriers.

7. Re: High Speed Rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Kaiserslautern