We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

Which Koblenz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
329 reviews
Save Topic
A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

I'll be coming in (from Romania, but that's another story) at 5:35 PM on September 30th to Frankfurt/M, and leaving Frankfurt/M at 11 AM on October 3 back to the U.S., and was hoping to finally see the only Michelin 3* attraction in Germany which I haven't yet seen: the Moselle Valley (well, actually I haven't seen Hamburg either). I was thinking of taking the train from Frankfurt/M Flughafen to Koblenz on the evening of the 30th, then spend the night near the HBF (perhaps at GHOTEL, which seems to be within walking distance). Then the next morning, rent a car at the train station, drive along the Moselle Valley, stopping at Eltz Castle along the way, then spending the night in Trier. The next day, I visit Trier, and drive back to Koblenz, drop the car back at the train station. From there, I take the train back to Frankfurt/M Flughafen, where I stay at the airport Sheraton, and fly back home the next morning. Does this sound like a good itinerary?

1. Re: A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2015, 14:42
USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

In Germany it's Mosel. There's a very nice restaurant at Hotel Haus Lipmann in Beilstein, and I understand they've done some refurbishing of the castle there as well.

3. Re: A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

Do wineries in the area have tastings available to the general public?

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

I would suggest take the DeLux-Express shuttle bus from the airport to Trier stay overnight and rent your car here and return it at FRA. Trier is done in half a day and then start your trip zig-zaging down the Mosel river. There are lots of interesting little towns on both sides with plenty of bridge crossings.

Here is an overwiew www.mosel-reisefuehrer.de/karte-gesamt.htm

Winemaking is what it's all about the Mosel every village and town is crowded with producers only eager to let you taste their products. Nature will start changing colours end of September and it is also a good time to visit without the summer hordes of tourists. It's Musel in local parlance.

6. Re: A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

I have an old Michelin "Main Cities of Europe" (2008) book which lists the illegal alcohol level in Germany as 0.05%. I just want to verify that this is still the case, so that I might enjoy one or two tastings and stay legal while in Germany. I don't want to miss my flight while being locked up in jail! ;-)

N California
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

Best bet for winetasting would be to stay in the village/town where you will be doing the tasting. There are lots of tasting rooms for the local winemakers, and a variety of options for lodging. I would push your Koblenz/Trier nights to places along the river instead.

9. Re: A reasonable itinerary for the Moselle Valley?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 13:17