We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

We will be in Koblenz for a few days towards the end of May. Previous forums suggest doing a Rhine River cruise from Bingen to Koblenz but, as we will be staying in Koblenz it seems more logical to start our cruise here and then possibly catch a train back. Any suggestions? Also, the KD line information suggests we can get off at any stop. If we do so Can we then catch another KD line ship to continue our journey or do we then have to make our own way?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

The logic of traveling from Bingen to Koblenz lies in the travel time involved. It's 3 hours 40 minutes. Koblenz to Bingen requires 6 full hours - boats encounter a strong current in that direction. So if you cruise from south to north, you'll see exactly the same scenery as from north to south, but you'll have 2 hours and 20 minutes more to do something else in your day. The train trip is 40 to 50 minutes no matter the direction you travel.

The other advantage of taking the train first is that a train ticket shown at the Bingen kd dock gets you a 20% cruise discount.

You can get off and then back on. But check the schedule to see how much time you have in town X before another boat comes along to pick you up.

One thing you can do with saved cruise time is tour a castle. If you catch the 9:30 or 10:30 boat from Bingen, your boat will dock in Braubach, home of Marksburg Castle. All boats from Bingen dock in St. Goar, home of Rheinfels castle.

www.marksburg.de

www.st-goar.de/17-1-rheinfels-castle.html

After the castle tour, if the boat schedule isn't convenient you can always take the train. It's only 11 minutes from Braubach to Koblenz by train. Get a KD ticket to Braubach in the first place, and you save $ anyway.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 01:44
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

Excellent advice, thank you so much. We will definitely follow your suggestions.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

Well, mostly good advice. I do need to clarify that when I said,

"All boats from Bingen dock in St. Goar,"

I meant "all northbound boats" - don't get on a southbound boat!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

Thanks again. We are currently putting it all together and you have been very helpful.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

I am confused, is south to north quicker or south to north on the boat? I am guessing it is simple to catch the train in either direction? Would you recommend staying in Oberwesel or Koblenz? We have three days and would like to see the sites, catch the Marksburg castle and relax with wine!

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

I would definitely recommend staying in a smaller village (such as Oberwesel, Bacharach, St Goar) rather than staying in Koblenz. It's quite a ways from the train station in Koblenz to the river, but in the smaller towns the train stations are next to the river, and easy to switch between modes of transport.

I believe south to north is quicker.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

The CRUISE BOAT requires less time if you travel from south to north. In the opposite direction, boats must work against a strong current. Trains require the same amount of timebetween any two points in either direction.

Agree with emilysmom that staying in a smaller village is more relaxing and enjoyable and makes getting around easier. Boppard is another nice town to consider. Oberwesel has a fine old town wall that you can walk along from tower to tower and is a nice spot to settle in. St. Goar is ideal if you plan to visit Marksburg - the ferry at St. Goar allows access to the east bank train station on the opposite side of the Rhine, and from there Braubach (Marksburg) is just 20 minutes by train. (St. Goar's main square is currently being reconstructed, making it a bit messy to walk or drive around there at present.)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

Thank you very much for your detailed information. Would you also suggest a visit to Cochem or Trier whilst we are in the area? Also if we can only take a short trip on one river would you recommend the Rhine or the Mosel? We are already in Germany and the weather looks as if it will continue to be grey skies with rain. Should we therefore stick to the land or still experience a river?

N California
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

For a short boat tour, I would pick the Rhine; there is just a lot going on in that section in terms of castles and river traffic. With more time (either by car or boat), I would spend time along the Mosel. The towns and villages along the Mosel seem more relaxed, and you don't have the heavy train traffic on both banks of the river.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rhine River cruise between Koblenz and Bingen

Another option is to get off the boat in Bacharach, which has a few sights and a winery winegarden across from the train station. (check hours) Most of the sights are really between Bingen and Bacharach, so we took the train back to the sleepy, pretty town of Andernach, just north of Koblenz. In other words: Train to Bingen, Boat to Bacharach, Train to Andernach. There's a bar on the boat, and light food available.

Perhaps it's better in the high season, but we found the boats too infrequent to use as if they were city busses, running all the time.