We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Koblenz May2014

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1,439 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Koblenz May2014

Would appreciate help with a plan for 4 days next May. We will arrive approx. 11.30am on the Monday and leave 9am on the Friday.

Would like to do a Rhine cruise 1/2 day if possible, visit Cochem, Cable car and local sights of interest.I visited Rudesheim over 20 years ago so would prefer other town to visit. Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cochem
Cochem
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Koblenz May2014

This would give you 3 full days in the area.

You could combine a visit to Cochem with Burg Eltz. Assuming you do not have a car, this would involve a scenic walk of a liottle more than an hour from the station in Moselkern.

You could take the train to Bacharach or Bingen and cruise to St. Goar, Boppard or Braubach (for the Marksburg). Bacharach, Oberwesel, St. Goar (for Burg Rheinfels) are all interesting small towns you could visit on the way. Or do the cruise on one day and come back for the towns on another day.

There are many other interesting places in the area, such as Linz and Limburg.

The 3 day mini group ticket by the local transport authority VRM is a very good deal:

vrminfo.de/en/…

This is good for all the places I mentioned except Bingen and Bacharach. For these, you would have to buy additional point-to-point Deutsche Bahn tickets from Oberwesel, available already in Koblenz.

Mentioned in this post
Cochem
Cochem
Burg Eltz
Burg Eltz
1,335 Reviews
Wierschem, Germany
Bacharach
Bacharach
Linz
Linz
Upper Austria, Austria
Koblenz
Koblenz
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
66 posts
705 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Koblenz May2014

Koblenz, in my opinion, is a boring city along the Rhein. My suggestion would be to stay elsewhere and do day trips from there. We like St Goar, although it's quite small, due to its proximity to a ferry crossing and train station.

Biking/hiking along the Rhein is a nice way to see some of the villages.

Cochem and Bernkastel-Kues on the Mosel are nice. Bernkastel will require a car or bussing. Burg Eltz is near Cochem and would require a good hike of at least an hour in each direction to get to from near Cochem.

Mentioned in this post
Koblenz
Koblenz
Cochem
Cochem
Bernkastel-Kues
Bernkastel-Kues
Mosel Wine Region
Mosel Wine Region
Burg Eltz
Burg Eltz
1,335 Reviews
Wierschem, Germany
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Koblenz May2014

Good suggestions from detbo for the area. Of these, I would rate Cochem and Linz am Rhein at the top.

Although Koblenz is convenient for train travel, I agree with travelmeisteren that Koblenz is a bit dull, especially near the station. Outings will take a little longer if you stay in one of the villages south of Koblenz instead, but you'll probably enjoy the scenery and atmosphere more. I like St. Goar, but Boppard isa fine town with more handsome buildings, one that would put you closer to your Mosel outings than St. Goar - Boppard is only 15 minutes south of Koblenz by train - and it has a wonderful chairlift ride to boot.

Chairlift w/ Boppard in background: boppard-tourismus.de/files/sesselliftkl_kopi…

Walk to Burg Eltz from Moselkern station:

bensbauernhof.com/burgeltzfrommoselkern.html

Mentioned in this post
Cochem
Cochem
Linz
Linz
Upper Austria, Austria
Koblenz
Koblenz
Mosel Wine Region
Mosel Wine Region
Burg Eltz
Burg Eltz
1,335 Reviews
Wierschem, Germany
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Koblenz May2014

I agree that Koblenz is not much. Trier offers more.

Mentioned in this post
Koblenz
Koblenz
Trier
Trier
5. Re: 4 days in Koblenz May2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:18