We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in mainz

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in mainz

Hello! We will be in mainz march 9-11. I need your help and advice what is worth seeing there. In our plan to visit at least 2 really good wineries to test fabulous reingau rieslings. Could you please advice the plan for 2 days, having in mind that this is weekend and we arrive saturday around 12 am. Other interests walking, history centre, good restaurants. Huge thanks in advance! Max

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
52 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in mainz

In my opinion, Mainz is just a lovely town to wander about and soak up the atmosphere. The Cathedral and St Stephans Church (with Marc Chagall windows) are worth a visit as is the Old Town (where I think you will be able to try some lovely local wines). It is also worth taking a walk along the banks of the Rhein. I would also recommend Kaffee und Kuchen at Heiliggeist It is not a huge city and you can see a lot in a day so you might consider a day trip on your second day. You could take the train (or perhaps even a boat trip) to some of the small rhein villages (eg Bacharach, Boppard).

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in mainz

To the above suggestions, I'd add the Romanesque Dom, the Marktplatz, the Augustinerkirche (church on pedestrianized Augustinerstrasse) the old town along Augustinerstr., and the Gutenberg Museum. A less official sight is the Roman theater being unearthed at the rear set of tracks at the "Römisches Theater" train station near the Stadtpark. The Stadtpark itself is very nice, but won't be blooming big time in March.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,727 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in mainz

Another huge Mainz fan here ..... Add to the list from the two posters above, the Temple of Isis & Magna Marta and the Museum of Ancient Shipbuilding (roman ships of the Rhine) If you are into 'champagne' you could also consider the Kupferberg Sekt (sparkling wine) cellar tour and tasting ... and another vote for the Gutenberg Museum (visit the print shop next door too if you can - great fun and only 5euro to do some of your own printing - you'll have to book this though)

cheers

helen

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in mainz

Dear friends,

many thanks for your quick response and help. Will visit as much as I can))

What wineries except champagne one you can recommend?

old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in mainz

Can you give me the difference between Wiesbaden and Mainz. I know they are very close, but if you had to stay in one town, which one ? and Why? I would like to tour both towns in possibly 1 1/2 days and do the Rhein towns in one day, maybe two or three tops. my tour is giving us the cruise, so I will take a train to the rhein towns.

6. Re: 2 days in mainz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:17