We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights or 6 nights

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights or 6 nights

We have to stop at least overnight at FRA on our way back to Japan from Paris, and thought we'd rather spend 4 nights in Mainz than the 1-night at the airport. We're very leisurely travellers and do not require lots of activities/attractions, so I'm sure that we will have plenty to do for 3-days in Mainz/Wiesbaden.

Now our plane schedules are making it easier to spend 6 nights rather than 4, but I'm worried if that might be too long. Wondering how far out of Mainz we could economically travel by train on half-day trips, leaving around noon and returning around 6 pm. Cologne seems just a bit too far for an afternoon. Any ideas for short afternoon trips by train or bus would be appreciated.

Or should we just stick with the 4 nights. This will be our first, and very likely only, visit to Germany.

Thanks.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights or 6 nights

Some half-day trips from Mainz to the Middle Rhine Valley ( www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php… ) :

1.) Train to Oberwesel (35 min. by direct RE train) and Bacharach (5 min. south of Oberwesel) for a look at 2 old-world villages, a meal, maybe a winery. Return by direct MRB train to Mainz (about 55 minutes.)

2.) Direct RE Train to Boppard (about 50 min., chairlift ride to nearby peak, nice town with fine half-timbered buildings); train south to St. Goar (about 10 min.) to tour Rheinfels Castle. Return to Mainz by direct MRB train (about 65 min.)

www.st-goar.de/17-1-rheinfels-castle.html

sesselbahn-boppard.de/chairlift_boppard/inde…

3.) Train to Braubach for Marksburg Castle tour (1:40 each way.) Never-destroyed Marksburg has a guided tour.

www.marksburg.de

Other half-day trips:

4.) Direct RE Train to Bad Sobernheim (about 45 min. each way) to visit the wonderful open-air museum there:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g494948-d1…

(The walk to the museum and from building to building will require around 3 hours or so on your feet.)

5.) Direct RB train to Worms (about 45 min. each way):

www.romantic-cities.com/Worms.5623.0.html

6.) Direct RE train to Frankfurt (about 40 minutes) for whatever sights might interest you there for a few hours.

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights or 6 nights

Thank you very much Russ. My wife and I have been discussing for the past couple of hours and her decision was to spend the 6 nights in Mainz since it will be someplace new for us.

Your kind information certainly backs up that decision. I'm sure I'll be visiting the forum a lot in the future as we try to plan some things. The trip is not until May, but I'll be making the plane reservations today and it might not be possible to change them later, which is why I needed to decide on whether 4 nights or 6.

Thanks again.

3. Re: 4 nights or 6 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 05:18