We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

Has anyone used a taxi recently to go from Frankfurt am Main Airport to the Hyatt Regency Mainz and if yes, what did it cost? We will be 3 arriving at about 6 PM on a Monday on a BA flight. I have asked the hotel the same question and am waiting for an answer.

A private car service has quoted 152.32 EUR which includes 19% VAT. Plus another 5% for using credit card.

Do the taxis take credit cards? And do they apply the 19% VAT to the meter fare? Is there a flat rate to Mainz specified by the authorities?

St. Stephan's Church (Stephanskirche)
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Mainz Cathedral (Dom)
Sacred & Religious Sites
Markt
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gutenberg Museum
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

Sorry, don't know how much it will be to Mainz, but the fare you see on the meter is what you pay and as far as I know there is no set fee from the authorities.

You pay a set ammount like 5 € when you get in the cab and then per km a certain ammount, prices in Germany always include VAT not like in the US where it's added at check out.

If you travel light you can also take the train, takes around 30 mins, could be faster than a cab during rush hour.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

You can get there also by S-Bahn trains. From Terminal 1 to Mainz Römisches Theater. From there it's just a 300 m walk. Single ticket is EUR 4,35.

…hyatt.com/en/…map-and-directions.html

There are small differences between the Mainz and Frankfurt taxi tariffs. Mainz taxis have "MZ" on there number plates, Frankfurt taxis "F".

rosehr.info/mainz_frankfurt_wiesbaden/mainz/…

Depends also if you travel from Terminal 1 or Terminal 2. Will cost you approx. EUR 50. Credit cards are accepted.

The fare shown by the taxi meters includes VAT.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

Thanks for the helpful information. Trying to decide between taxi and private car. First time vacationing in Germany with family. Haven't been able to find too many car service names yet.

Our flight is scheduled to arrive in Terminal 2.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

That is because it's not so common to use private car services here, most people use public transport which is way better than in the US.

www.mydriver.de/… here is one from sixt.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

Taxi should be around 60-70 EUR. I'd prefer the cab ride over the train for which you'd have to get over to the other terminal first. And S-Bahn during rush hour would not be the most convenient start into your vacation for sure.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

Thanks for sharing the link. I went ahead and booked a car using the online form and already got confirmation. Excellent price compared to the quote I had received from the other company.

Is it customary to tip the driver 15%? Is it same for taxi drivers?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,846 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

Why in all the world would you tip the driver 15%? You can add an Euro or two if he has been helpful, but seriously, if the price is 60 Euro this is the price you are supposed to pay.

Also, there is no need to book anything - you just walk out of the airport building and take a taxi. Makes live much easier.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

>>>>>>>>Why in all the world would you tip the driver 15%?

Imho a legitimate question as it is the custom in other parts of the world. In Germany you usually tip by rounding up. Unless the service was like out of this world it is not customary to tip more than 10% max, 5% is considered perfectly fine. If your ride costs 60 EUR I'd give the driver a fiver extra if everything went smooth. If you did not like the service you don't tip, fine as well. Personally, I always tip the cab driver as that is really one of the worst paying jobs.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,888 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

Taxis are expensive enough.

A tip is in order if, for example, the taxi driver helps you with the luggage. Otherwise I'd maybe round up to the next fiver or tenner. But 15%? Holy crap.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from Frankfurt Airport to Hyatt Regency Mainz

Thanks for the candid replies. Much appreciated, they are very helpful.