We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainz

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mainz

we are having 2 nights in Rothenberg and then would like to head to Mainz or similar, we have 3 nights before heading back to Amsterdam. Is Mainz a good base for 3 nights, or is there a better alternative. Is there a train from Rothenberg to Mainz?

kind regards

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,435 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mainz

Trains - you can pretty much get from any place to any other place in Germany by train. Rothenburg - Mainz will require a couple of connecting trains, but it's no problem to get there by train.

That said, Mainz is a city, a nice one IMO, and one you might want to visit for several hours, but you may find more old-world atmosphere and a better base location for visiting the charms of the Middle Rhine Valley if you stay in one of the villages there (northwest of Mainz.). Boppard, St. Goar, Oberwesel, or Bacharach, all on the left/west bank of the Rhine between Koblenz and Bingen, tend to be better choices. All have train stations with connections into Mainz and to FRA.

www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php…

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mainz

I really, really like Mainz. Spend one night there. Walk along the river bank, eat outside in summer/nice weather.

And one thing you must do is visit St. Stephen's church with the Chagall windows AMAZING!

mainz.de/WGAPublisher/…

https://www.google.com/search?q=chagall+windows+mainz&rlz=1CASMAD_enUS542US542&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=muZsU5aRJ4Ow8AGDqoDADg&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=689

Also, visit the Gutenberg Museum. You'll see how printing started (and just think, now we have the internet!).

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,110 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mainz

I am biased, of course, but imho Mainz is a great base. You may be done with seeing the major sights in a day but the city is conveniently located for daytrips down the Rhine, to Frankfurt, to Heidelberg etc. If you are want to stay in a quaint little town nestled between the river and castles you may rather want to stay in Bacharach, Oberwesel or Boppard (slightly larger). But looking for a broader choice of good restaurants, wine bars, shopping and the experience of a lively German city with a a nice oldtown for a decent share of "old-world atmosphere", Mainz would certainly be a good choice.

germany.travel/en/…mainz.html

mainz.de/WGAPublisher/…hpkr-5nkgnz.en.html

Edited: 10 May 2014, 10:25
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mainz

I agree that Mainz is a super town in most respects. My only complaint is that the Hyatt has gotten expensive and I don't know a good, non-chain hotel near the old town. Perhaps someone recommends one. Mainz has the advantage of two train stations - the Roman Theater station is very convenient. Don't forget that Mainz is a wine town and a student town. So lots of good, reasonably priced places to eat and drink. Besides the Chagall windows (which we have close to me at home), look at Augustiner Church in the pedestrian area. Also, there are several good, reasonably priced jewelry shops. My favorite is at Kirschgarten 3 - Renate Demmerle. She has a website. My wife always gets compliments when she wears things I got here there. No, not a paid ad. Just a happy customer. If you don't stay at the Hyatt, you can still get a glass of wine or cup of coffee there and watch the barges float by on the Rhine.

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mainz

All good information so far, but I'm surprised no one has metioned the magnificent thousand year old Romanesque cathedral.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mainz

The cathedral is just too obvious. It IS wonderful. And the market in front is super, too. And cafes with the view.

Ekero, Sweden
Level Contributor
69 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mainz

Don't miss the wine villages close by ex. Essenheim or Bodenheim, very nice for an afternoon visit.

Or if you wanna have a spectacular view over the area visit the Labenheimer höhe terass restaurant.

For a morning run/walk I like the 'Drei-brucken-runde' (Three bridges round), directly outside Hyatt or Hilton Rhine, its about 8 km.

If you like to have some calm and nice orchard walking, take the short bus ride to Mainz-Fintem.

And if you are into a sport experience try to get tickets for Mainz football team home game(soccer) it will be an experience for anyone, Bundesliga rocks.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mainz

tick, tick and tick to everything already mentioned - and yes I am another fan of Mainz

do check out the Gutenberg Museum and Print shop and the Kupferberg Sekt (sparkling wine) Museum and tasting tour.

We had a wonderful day in Mainz (and several more in nearby towns - our base was Worms about 40 minutes south of Mianz) My blog entry for this part of our trip might give you some ideas …blogspot.com.au/2012/12/magical-mainz.html

cheers

helen

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mainz

My favorites in Mainz are the cathedral, St. Stephens with the Chagall windows, and the Isis Temple ruins.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mainz

A lot of good suggestions on what to do in Mainz. Let me add another one (I wonder why nobody has brought it up before): Just take a transit bus for a 20 min ride across the Rhine to Wiesbaden. First of all, a really beautiful city with oustanding architecture dating back to the late 19th/early 20th century (just walk down Wilhelmstrasse) and a nice view on Mainz and Wiesbaden from Neroberg with its 19th century Russian Orthodox church. Secondly, a remarkable contrast in attitude and character between the two cities (and their inhabitants) which are basically twin cities