We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

Which Trier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bovey Tracey...
Level Contributor
57 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

Looking for a city break coming through the tunnel and so far Strasbourg (France) looks like the place we are looking for.

I have come across Trier and Bernkastel-Kues which I think look similar.

the drive to these places is shorter in travelling time.

Ideally i'm looking for somewhere to stay, maybe overlooking a river with nice scenery and somewhere where there are villages nearby, and also maybe somewhere you can go on a boat trip.

Any recommendations as to which is better/nicer??

I think they are not far from each other.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

Trier is a medium sized city with ancient Roman monuments, a lot of church history as seat of an archbishop, a university, and some old town architecture mixed with modern city life.

Bernkastel is a small wine town with the whole "romantic" appearance, half-timbered houses and a castle.

I do not think they are similar at all. Decide which sounds more appealing to you.

New York
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

I agree - not similar at all.

Bovey Tracey...
Level Contributor
57 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

If we stayed in any of these places is there enough to do and in the surrounding areas for a few days break??

The more I look, the more I get confused.

Have narrowed it down to Trier,Bernkastel-Kues and maybe Cochem??

Think Strasbourg will be too far??

Cochem, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

Bernkastel is an excellent location to give you more than enough to see in a few days. The town itself is small, with lovely half-timbered houses and cobbled streets, but with plenty of restaurants. It sits right on the Mosel River. To reach Cochem from there, you can take a scenic drive along the river, but since you have a car, I would also recommend getting off the river and touring the Vulkaneifel, with its volcanic mountains and crater lakes (Maars) or even taking your car to Cochem and going the rest of the way up the Mosel and even partway down the Rhine (as far as Boppard or St Goar) by train. You can get a ticket for up to five people for less than 22 euros and it takes some of the load off.

Bovey Tracey...
Level Contributor
57 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

Thankyou, looks like it will be Bernkastel that we stay in.

Do you recommend that more than Cochem? I know everyones views is different.......

Then I can decide on a hotel-need to get the location right first.

Thankyou for your reply.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

Cochem has good train connections and is close to Burg Eltz. That could be the reason why it is recommended so often. If you have a car and stay for several days, any place between Bernkastel-Kues and Cochem is fine.

Cochem, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

It depends what you like. I am not a great lover of Cochem because it is often too crowded for my taste, whereas Bernkastel tends to be a little more low-key --- except during national holidays. OTOH, as Detbo says, Cochem has good train connections and ready access to Burg Eltz. It really does depend on what you enjoy doing, but you will be fine wherever you decide to stay.

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
340 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

Beautiful little Bernkastel! My favorite wine town on the enchanting Mosel. Lots of boat rides, restaurants, cafe's, half timbered houses, shops, and charming little hotels. I stayed at the Römischer Keiser the last time I was there, and would recommend it.

Trier, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

The boat ride between Trier is Bernkastle is enjoyable.

www.moselrundfahrten.de/en/route_check.php

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trier or Bernkastel-Kues

Bernkastel-Kues is cute but veeery touristy, so we only stayed for 1-2 hours max. The city of Trier on the other hand has a lot more to offer. So I would suggest: stop in Bernkastel-Kues for a coffee or glass of white wine, then spend a day or two in Trier.