We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours for multiple castles around Dresden?

London, United...
2 posts
Tours for multiple castles around Dresden?

Hi all

I've got an 8 day break this November where I'm going to Berlin and Dresden in a two-city break. I thought I would have 4 days in Berlin (including a day trip to Potsdam) and then 4 days in Dresden to see the town and surrounding castles.

I don't have a car so will need to see the castles via public transport. Or (ideally) find a tour company that would cover multiple castles, do these exist? So far I've found Moritzburg, Weesenstein, Albrechtsburg & Meissen, Bautzen, Kriebstein, Konigstein that I would like to visit. I know I won't be able to see them all so tips of any tours that cover multiple castles in a day or opinions on which castles may not be as good as others would be really helpful!

thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
208 reviews
1. Re: Tours for multiple castles around Dresden?

If you go to Bautzen also go to Görlitz on the same day.

Germany
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Tours for multiple castles around Dresden?

I am not aware of any tours that cover several castles per day, I doubt there are tours in English.

That means only three full days in Dresden - one, better two days should be reserved for the city itself, which leaves one or maximum two days for the castles in the surroundings. Remember that daylight is short in November - It's gonna be dark by 5 pm.

Please note that castle Moritzburg has a Cinderella exhibit in winter season, the splendid Baroque rooms etc. are not accessible. Besides, it is closed 05 Nov through 16 Nov.

Albrechtsburg is well worth seeing, especially in combination with the adjacent cathedral. But give the town some time, too - it's very charming. This would be a nice day trip from Dresden.

My favourite for your trip would be Weesenstein in combination with fortress Königstein, though. For public transportation schedules check www.vvo-online.de or www.bahn.de (English available). For the fortress Königstein plug in "Königstein, Festung" - not the town.

Another option is Stolpen - in large parts in ruins, but there is still enough to see and do. A really medieval structure, a castle as you imagine. Kriebstein is quite difficult to get to, especially as it is only open on weekends and busses don't run as often as on workdays.

You might consider the castles along Zschopau valley in the Ore mountains: Augustusburg, Wildeck (Zschopau) and Scharfenstein. All of them easily accessible from the train stops along this valley, you can kill three birds with one shot ;-)

What draws you to "castle Bautzen"? Do you refer to Ortenburg? One building is a court now and not accessible, another the Sorbian museum (and not exactly castle - like), yet another is the modern theatre. Scratch it (although Bautzen is well worth a day trip!) Schloss Rammenau is a beautiful Baroque-classicistic castle, though, and between Dresden and Bautzen.

London, United...
2 posts
3. Re: Tours for multiple castles around Dresden?

Thanks Eagle, that's really helpful info.

There are so many beautiful places in Germany, I just want to see them all!

Moritzburg draws me the most so I might have to make a trip there regardless if I won't be able to see some of the baroque rooms. We go end of November so it should be open then.

Weesenstein is a good option too along with the fortress, especially if it comes with a high recommendation :)

With regards to Bautzen, on closer inspection it's actually the Old Waterworks building I was looking at (doh) so I may have to cut that out if others take priority.

thanks again for the very helpful info! :)

Becky

Germany
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Tours for multiple castles around Dresden?

Moritzburg is doable in a half day from Dresden. At least hourly busses from railway station Dresden-Neustadt, the trip takes a half hour, I think. The location on that little island is probably what draws you the most - but be prepared that probably hardly any water will be in that lake. The reason is that it is a man-made pond, made for carp breeding and right around these days all the water was drained for harvesting the fish. Not much rain in sight and since we had a draught this summer I am afraid it won't fill up from natural ressources quickly ... :(

Reply to: Tours for multiple castles around Dresden?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted