We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elbe river cruise

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Elbe river cruise

I have been trying to find information about taking a river cruise from Dresden. It seems there are several, some to Saxony and some in the other direction to Meissen. I went to a steam boat site (sakchsiske) but couldn't figure much out. We want a one day cruise and just couldn't figure out the hours or if the boat stopped to let us off . If anyone can give me any information at all, it will be greatly appreciated.

Also it appears that there's no such thing as guided tours in Dresden as there are in other cities. Is this true?

One last question: Is the main train station within walking distance of the river walk, Frauenkirche and other points of interest as well as hotels?

Thanks so much

Peggy

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Elbe river cruise

>team boat site<

saechsische-dampfschiffahrt.de/Fahrplan-6.ht…

The "Elbe Valley Line" is more attractive than the "Saxon Wine Route"

www.saechsische-dampfschiffahrt.de/index.php…

>guided tours in Dresden<

www.dvbag.de/sightseeing/default.asp…

www.erlebnisrundgang.de/index_english.htm

Or get on one of the double deckers, departing every 15 min. near Semper opera for a "Hop On Hop Off Tour". The tickets are valid the whole day.

>within walking distance of the river walk, Frauenkirche and other points of interest as well as hotels?<

Yes

Prittlbach, Germany
Level Contributor
574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elbe river cruise

Have a look at the 'Fahrplan' (timetable)

saechsische-dampfschiffahrt.de/…en.html

all ships start from Dresden city center (in yellow)

there's 1 ship daily going towards Meissen and back, all other ships go the other way. All departures with the blue ship sign indicate steam boats. There are 90 min and 180 min roundtrips (Rundfahrt), which do not stop on the way, and there are trips with several stops. A day trip would be the 'Elbe valley line', you don't have to go all the way down, you can choose at which stop you want to disembark.

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elbe river cruise

Thank you both so much. The info was exactly what I was looking for.

One last question. Do the boats get sold out or is it possible to just buy a ticket at the dock maybe the day before or that day?

Thanks again

Peggy

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Elbe river cruise

>Do the boats get sold out<

Highly unlikely, it is common to buy the ticket at the dock.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elbe river cruise

Correction to the latest post: steamboats have been sold out in the last years occasionally. Especially on public holidays like 3 October, Easter, Ascension Day etc. It is recommended that you buy the tickets the day before you plan to ride the boats.

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elbe river cruise

I think I said in my last post that I had one more question. Well, that was a lie. I have yet another! I was following the links that both of you so kindly sent. If I am reading the chart correctly, it seems that it would be six hours one way from Dresden to Konigstein. Therefore, 12 hours round trip. If this is true, we wouldn't do that.

#1 Am I reading it correctly?

#2 If we want to take a shorter trip, where would you suggest that we stop in order not to miss any great scenery. We'd hate to come back one stop before something spectacular.

#3. I'm a bit confused if we do a shorter trip... do we make sure to take a different boat or can we get off one and there will be another shortly to take us back?

It sounds like you both are very familiar with these excursions.

Sorry to appear so dense but this is our first trip to Dresden.

Thanke again

Peggy

Germany
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elbe river cruise

It doesn't make sense to take the boat to Königstein and then back - it's the same scenery, you know? You don't read it exactly right, though. You'd leave 9.15 am, arrive 2.45 pm in Königstein, take the boat back 3.15 pm and arrive Dresden 6.45 pm. An awfully long day, but not 12 hours - it's 9 and a half hours.

Anyway, still too long and part of the trip is boring. Believe me, I've done it a couple of times. Very nice is the part between Dresden Old Town (Terrassenufer) and Dresden-Pillnitz. Castles and 19th century mansions along the green hills, and finally the Pillnitz Palace is simply stunning. The next part between Pillnitz and Pirna is flat and boring, though.

Thus my recommendation: get off the steamboat in Pillnitz, have a look at the Palace and gardens and then hop on a bus to Pirna. In Pirna take the steamboat to Königstein and from there take the S-Bahn (suburban railway) back to Dresden. You need to catch the 1 pm boat in Pirna to arrive in Königstein 3 pm. The train runs frequently back to Dresden (takes maybe 40 minutes).

Let me know if you have more questions/need directions.

Ingo

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elbe river cruise

Wouldn't it make more sense to make the trip in reverse direction? I don't know how fast the current is on the Elbe in this area, but if it is comparable to the Rhine at Koblenz you would save 2-3 hours on the way downstream.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elbe river cruise

It's a possibility. It's only 3 hours from Königstein to Dresden. What's not so nice IMO is that you see the spectacular scenery first and then it gets boring for a while before you get back to Dresden.

10. Re: Elbe river cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 13:15